Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All things Stan Kenton

Player to be named later duaneiac's Avatar
    This past Saturday night, I attended a concert performance by the Stan Kenton Alumni Band under the leadership of Mike Vax. Kenton specifically did not want a "ghost band" to exist after his death (in the way that Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey "ghost bands" existed after the demise of their respective leaders), so this band, made up largely of Kenton alumni, plays some of the charts from the Kenton band, plus some originals and some new arrangements done in a Kenton fashion.

Here's the set list from Sat. night as compiled by saxophonist/arranger Kim Richmond:

Saturday, April 21, Santa Clara University-

First Set:
    Baubles, Bangles and Beads (Lennie Niehaus arrangement)
    Softly As I Leave You (Dale DeVoe arrangement)
    You're Everything (Chick Corea composition, Dale DeVoe arrangement)
    In a Sentimental Mood (John Boice arrangement, Carl Saunders trumpet feature)
    This is the End of a Beautiful Frienship (Rick Stitzel arrangement)
    Cheek to Cheek (Scott Whitfield arrangement, feature for Scott and Ginger Berglund vocals)
    Our Garden (Bob Florence composition, Scott Whitfield arrangement, feature for Scott and Ginger Berglund vocals)
    Memories of You (from Ted Heath Band, feature for Dennis Noday and Mike Vax, trumpets)
    Peanut Vendor

Second Set:
    Artistry in Rhythm (Kim Richmond arrangement)
    Intermission Riff
    Willow Weep for Me (Kim Richmond arrangement, feature for Kim on saxophone)
    You're So Cute (Carl Saunders composition, Scott Whitfield arrangement, feature for Scott and Ginger Berglund vocals)
    Stockholm Sweetning (Scott Whitfield arrangement, feature for Scott and Ginger Berglund vocals)
    Reed Rapture (Stan Kenton arrangement, saxophone section feature)
    Chico and the Man (Vincent Lopez arrangement, Mike Vax trumpet feature
    Joint Tenancy (comp/arr by Steve Huffsteter, trumpet feature for Steve and Don Rader)
    Malaguena

The trumpet section was composed entirely of Kenton alumni and Vax said the average age of that section was 71. But man, can they still blow! Carl Saunders was incredible on his feature piece, playing things that should tax the limits of a player half his age. Each of the trumpeters had spots to shine and on "Peanut Vendor" each of them strolled down from the stage and up the aisles into the audience still playing as if to say, "Microphones! We don' need no stinkin' microphones!"

It was a great evening of music. Part of the pleasure came from actually feeling the impact of this music. I mean feeling the vibrations viscerally, especially from the double bari saxes on "Baubles" and the occasionally used bass saxophone and certainly the impact of the trumpets on "Malaguena". I never saw the Kenton band in person, so this was the next best thing.

Hats off the Mike Vax and Co. for doing their damnedest to keep the music of Stan Kenton alive.
    Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
    I ache in the places where I used to play
    And I'm crazy for love, but I'm not coming on
    I'm just paying my rent every day
    In the Tower of Song -- Leonard Cohen

A message from Peter Erskine sent to an online Kenton newsgroup:

"Hello everyone. Here is a listing of the musicians who will be playing in the tribute to Stan Kenton and his music as part of the Hollywood Bowl concert on August 8 (at 8 pm).

> KENTON'S 100TH - THE STAN CENTENNIAL ORCHESTRA
    > Alto Saxophone:
    > Dan Higgins
    > Brian Scanlon
    > Tenor Saxophone:
    > Bob Sheppard
    > John Yoakum
    > Baritone Saxophone:
    > Greg Huckins
    >
    > Trombone:
    > Andy Martin
    > Alan Kaplan
    > Alex Iles
    > Bass Trombone:
    > Craig Gosnell
    > Bass Trombone/Tuba:
    > Bill Reichenbach
    >
    > Trumpet:
    > Wayne Bergeron
    > Dan Fornero
    > Larry Hall
    > Carl Saunders
    > Larry Lunetta
    >
    > Piano:
    > Christian Jacob
    > Bass:
    > Chuck Berghofer
    > Drums:
    > Peter Erskine
    > Latin Percussion:
    > Alex Acuna
    > Percussion:
    > Wade Culbreath
    > Aaron Serfaty
    >
    > French Horn:
    > Steve Becknell
    > Nathan Campbell
    > Brad Warnaar
    > Phil Yao
    >
    > Orchestra Contractor:
    > Brian Miller

The music should prove to be spectacular: a wonderful program (Bob Curnow and I did have some input there) including a Neophonic piece ("Fanfare") plus some Johnny Richards charts from "Cuban Fire" and "West Side Story" ... a couple of things form the Jean Turner songbook ... Willie Maiden's "Minor Booze" and a couple of chestnuts +/or surprises."

Stan Kenton received recognition from the Library of Congress in May when "Artistry In Rhythm" was named to the National Recording Registry along with 24 other historically important audio recordings in this year's choices.
    http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2012/12-107.html
    The press release states "That Stan Kenton led a jazz orchestra, not a dance band, is obvious from the first notes of "Artistry in Rhythm." This was no smooth, melodic song intended for swaying couples in the big-band ballrooms, but a complex jazz concert piece. Though he composed the song in 1941, Kenton was unable to record it until 1943 because of the recording ban imposed by the American Federation of Musicians over royalty payments. The music stood out then and its freshness remains obvious to listeners today. Arranged as well as composed by Kenton, "Artistry in Rhythm" exhibits traits that are typical of his work—an aggressive sound, innovative for the layering of one section of the orchestra playing over another, then another layer over both. As one reviewer observed, Kenton’s music "was always controversial, but never sleepy." "
    There are currently 350 pieces inclued in the registry (25 are added each year) so Kenton is in rarefied company. There are about 50 jazz entries on the list. I am not sure that "Artistry in Rhythm" is among the 50 most important jazz songs, but I always enjoyed it. Interestingly, there is another entry, "El Manisero" by Rita Montaner, which is probably my favorite piece by Kenton, who performs it as "The Peanut Vendor".
    Just to be clear, the SONG is called "The Peanut Vendor", not Kenton!

On his Jazz Wax blog, Marc Myers talks with Bill Holman about former Kenton bassist Don Bagley who passed away last week at age 85.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/08/bill-...on-bagley.html

East Coast Encores --Stan Kenton.

There are dozens of bootleg recordings of the Kenton band available. This one, released last year, is a pretty good one. It contains 3 NBC radio broadcast from Nov. 1952 when the band was appearing at the Rustic Cabin in NJ. The band at that time included Lee Konitz, Maynard Ferguson, Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Bobby Burgess, Bill Holman and Stan Levey. Sound quality is quite good.