Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Creative Works Here

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar

Share Your Creative Works Here

. . . whatever those might be – painting, sculpting, throwing, drawing, molding, snapping, building, designing, writing, making; thinking; prose, verse, music, lyrics, cartooning, essays, satire; a photo of your toilet (hey, it worked for Duchamp), your depraved new twist on chili . . . whatever floats your boat, really. If you made it and used more than 14% of your right brain in the process, please share it here. Professional, amateur, random occurrence – doesn’t matter - ‘would love to see what the interesting and talented folks at AAJ have been up to.

(PS - 'hoping someone else will lead things off – while I plan to post a few of my own, I don’t want this to be about me. I really want to see what others are doing). Takers?
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Just a thought!
    Since we already have a photographs thread, how about keeping this to other forms of art?

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Hi Ian. The photographs thread, namely “A Few Pictures I Took Today.”
    Refers to me, new photographs. Not retrospective shots, which I have loads. I did promise .5 Baked, I’d do a “before and after” portrait post.
    Shall we arrive at some sort of consensus, before I do the before and after?
    I am always of the opinion with the learned, if they speak first. - William Congreve.

I've no problem either way. I wasn't intending to replace any existing threads (although I recognize I did include "snapping" in my description - I wasn't thinking about this at the time), so it would make sense to me to keep photos in the photo thread.

Having said that, I could see photos making their way into this thread now and again, too, i.e., if someone makes art through photo manipulation or that sort of thing.

Anyhoo . . .
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

I don't know whether I could call any of my work art, but I like the idea of this thread and want to contribute. I was looking whether I could find any pictures of stuff I did while I was still teaching since frankly all I do now is sing and write. I don't feel ready yet sharing my songs with everyone, so instead I'll post a little poem. I hope that is ok.

Time

I remember..
    the sweetness,
    the smell,
    the touch
    of yesterday,

I feel..
    the cold,
    the shiver,
    the distance
    of today.

What will happen tomorrow?

It's me
    missing
    my friend,
    aching
    of farewell..

© 2009 page all rights reserved

^ Lovely, page. That was a wonderful way to start my Sunday morning, reading your poem.

I know you have more... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    I don't know whether I could call any of my work art, but I like the idea of this thread and want to contribute. I was looking whether I could find any pictures of stuff I did while I was still teaching since frankly all I do now is sing and write. I don't feel ready yet sharing my songs with everyone, so instead I'll post a little poem. I hope that is ok.

Time

I remember..
    the sweetness,
    the smell,
    the touch
    of yesterday,

I feel..
    the cold,
    the shiver,
    the distance
    of today.

What will happen tomorrow?

It's me
    missing
    my friend,
    aching
    of farewell..

© 2009 page all rights reserved
    Page - poetry is certainly an art, and more than welcome in this thread as far as I'm concerned. And thanks for getting things started. I agree with Chris - a good way to start the morning! I hope you'll share more!

And since I started this whole thing, I should probably attempt some sort of contribution myself. 'Not quite sure what to post first, but I may as well start with the most recent thing I did.

It's a glass mosaic window, mounted on a post w/ feet and rigged with a backlight. I wasn't really planning on taking this one on, but it just sort of happened one day when I was working with my daughter on an art project. I ended up liking it just enough to try to find it a corner somewhere. Anyway, it looks kind of cool at night, with the rest of the lights off . . .

^ Beautiful work, .5 baked! Thanks for posting that. It looks so cool with the backlight. Great use of colors and shapes, and the rustic frame and post gives it an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by tpt1 View Post
    ^ Beautiful work, .5 baked! Thanks for posting that. It looks so cool with the backlight. Great use of colors and shapes, and the rustic frame and post gives it an edge.
    Thanks, Chris. I had those colors laying around from another project. I had to cut the glass, but with all rectangles and squares, it was a pretty simple project. (Too simple, in fact - I probably slapped it together a little too quickly). A friend gave me about a dozen old windows when she moved out of country awhile back, so I'm pretty loaded up there, too. The post was sitting in a wood pile behind my house when I moved in. Anyway, 'appreciate the feedback!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope I can remind you we actually have 2 poetry threads on the board containing some originals by boardmembers. One is Ian's Selected poems-thread and the other is Nav's Jazz & poetry-thread. Both threads have my love, so I'll have to divide between the three or I'd feel guilty towards my friends there.

Great to see your mosaic, 1/2B! Those are beautiful! As you know I've always wanted to learn make some something like a little garden table or maybe a mirror with mosaic. I still didn't get to even look whether there are any classes in the area and maybe then sculpting should have priority above that since that is another great love of mine, at least to look at. I couldn't even imagine to learn how to do that myself but it is still a wish to sculpt. Music and writing sort of demands up all my time besides the every day life things and social contacts which are important too. There are just not enough hours in a day.

.5 Baked, nice work, I like it. Would it be feasible to have it situated near a window, to allow natural light to shine through? Just a thought.
    In my home town, Birmingham UK. In St Philips Cathedral, there are some beautiful stained glass windows of masterpieces by Sir Edward Burne Jones created by Morris & Co; in the 1880’s. I love Pre-Raphaelite Art, and in the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery there is a good collection. What styles of art do you like?
    Page, I like your poem. I composed a small piece of poetry, just a one-off. I’ll post it after a portrait job, I promised .5 Baked.
    I am always of the opinion with the learned, if they speak first. - William Congreve.

That's a nice looking glass project with the light shining through it. Is that cut glass glued to a clear pane of glass? If so, what kind of adhesive was used? Can you see the glue in the finished project?

Thanks, all. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

Pope – ‘would love to see the stained glass windows at St. Phillip’s. In fact, I think I’ll google that now and see what I can turn up.

As for art, there’s really so much of it I like it’s sort of hard to pare it down. I grew up near Toledo, Ohio, which, for a medium sized city, and particularly one that is now so economically depressed, has an excellent art museum. My Mom used to take us there all the time, and I got to see some pretty amazing art at a young age. While I had no clue what I was looking at back then, I do believe that experience had an impact on me somehow. Toledo was particularly known for its glass art (it’s called the “Glass City,” after all), and I’ve always had an affinity for that sort of thing. I took some glass blowing lessons last year, which was something I’d always been curious to try. ‘Perhaps I'll post a few from that experience sometime. Otherwise, I enjoy experiencing a lot of different art from a lot of different periods.—painting, sculpture, glass, mosaic . . . metal art is another thing I like and would like to try. I may look into some art welding classes in the near future. Unfortunately, I never studied art, and I’m not really able to speak about it intellectually. So, rather than try to fake it, suffice it to say, I dig an awful lot of it, with a bent toward more modern and post-modern stuff.

Mikelz – youre right about what I did here – it’s cut glass glued to an ordinary glass pane. I used an adhesive called “Weldbond,” which goes on white, but dries clear. It’s about the consistency of Elmer’s glue. You can’t see it dry, although you can see traces of it, i.e, swirls, etc., through clear glass when the light passes through. So, you might want to be careful there. I’ve also noticed that if you use too much of it, it can sometimes take forever to clear. I think this is because it dries around the edges, and air can no longer get in to dry the rest. So, moderation is the way to go.

On this piece, I elected not to grout, so it’s pretty much all held together by glue. You want to fit your pieces together pretty tight if you’re going to go that route. Note, too, that Weld Bond is pretty fluid, so it’s not the best if you’re working on curved surfaces (pieces will slide). I’ve also used another product called E-6000, which is more the consistency of rubber cement, and works better in those types of situations. (I did a mosaic mannequin a year or so ago which was nothing but curves – will post a few pix of that project next). [edit] - also think about whether you need it to be water resistant and look for something in that vein if you need it -- i.e., if you're planning on hanging something outdoors. E-6000 is water resistant. I don't know about Weldbond, although I've used it outdoors (albeit, under a waterproof epoxy grout, so it didn't really matter).

As for cutting glass, it’s not to difficult to make straight cuts. You need a simple glass cutter, which basically just scores the glass. Then you separate it along the score line with a tool called “running pliers.” A decent set of each can be had for under $40 for both.

Page - you should definitely give it a go sometime if you're interested. It's really quite simple once you get the hang of it.

Mikelz - you done any brewing lately?

.5 Baked, as promised, the before and after portraits. This is more of an experiment, than a finished article. I’m no great shakes when it comes to Photoshop. What I would like to do is step up my photo manipulation skills. With my portraiture, and see what happens.
    Hope you liked the St. Philips Cathedral windows. As you are interested in glass, there is a place near Birmingham UK; Stourbridge.
    Stourbridge has a great glassmaking heritage, recommend you google it, and see for yourself. There is “The Stourbridge International Glass Collection,” among other stuff. I hope you find it informative, and interesting.

Wow, that looks great Pope P! Amazing what you can do with photoshop. The portrait is beautiful, before and after!
    Some photographer photoshopped a picture of me once, without me asking for it. She decided my freckels needed to get rid of. I kind of felt insulted at the time, lol.
    Thanks for the kind word, looking forward to your poem!