Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most annoying word?

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post

incredibly dumb

big peeve: those who can't/won't spell properly and hide behind "Well - it's the meaning that's important" or some such nonsense.
    Advice and advise

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

I love words, so I don't find any word annoying intrinsically... I find many people annoying, which I think this is what this is really about... annoying people using words annoyingly. The words are innocent... people aren't.
    "When I die I want them to play The Black and Crazy Blues, I want to be cremated, put in a bag of pot and I want beautiful people to smoke me and hope they get something out of it." - Roland Kirk

Oppressed into submission jazzbluescat's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Avant-Guardian View Post
    I love words, so I don't find any word annoying intrinsically... I find many people annoying, which I think this is what this is really about... annoying people using words annoyingly. The words are innocent... people aren't.
    In other words we should be annoyed at the person speaking the annoying words rather than the words themselves? One sign of an annoying person is his use of annoying terms? What if it's my wife or a good friend that's using annoying terms? What can I do?
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Avant-Guardian View Post
    Isn´t that called Semiotics? The signifier being the pain in the a**, not the sign

In my country there is a wording of the phrase "exactly" that annoys me - especially because it is always used in a context there is no need for such a definite statement and often it is used as a form of simplification. Maybe the same goes for "exactly"?

I was literally........

as in

That curry was so hot, it literally set my mouth on fire
    I was so mad I was literally spitting nails

err really

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Registered User 128Bit_Encryption's Avatar
    Not one word but I am sick to my stomach of, "Let's do this!" I think I'll vomit next time I hear this pathetically tired and worn out statement.....
    "When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air; you can never recapture it again" -Eric Dolphy, Hilversum, Holland, 2 June1964

Pretentious.

I read that a lot when it comes to the creative arts. That and "self indulgent".

'whatever'
    because it shows a lack of care.

In my language people have a habit to ask you to explain yourself with one word when you are telling something, like 'cause?' I don't like that since it is sort of pressing unfriendly way, also because of the tone of voice they use it with. It sort of became a 'fashion' to ask this way it seems.

Registered User jazz,from,a,rat's Avatar
    really....REALLY????

yes really.
    Making music with hair from a horse's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    'whatever'
    because it shows a lack of care.

In my language people have a habit to ask you to explain yourself with one word when you are telling something, like 'cause?' i don't like that since it is sort of pressing unfriendly way, also because of the tone of voice they use it with. It sort of became a 'fashion' to ask this way it seems.
    agreed!!!!

I can't stand the way nouns are used as verbs. I was asking this woman about her job and she replied 'we signpost customers', which I assume means 'point them in the right direction'. Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Pretentious.

I read that a lot when it comes to the creative arts. That and "self indulgent".
    I like the word pretentious -- especially whan followed by the word "prat" usually reserved for consultants who are supremely confident, yet know nothing

My latest pet peeve popped up after listening to three university freshers on the tube

"You know, like, my first lecture, like, was totally, like awesome, like, you know, like"

Take your pick from that lot.

The prolific use of "like" in inappropriate places
    "Totally Awesome" (usually followed by "man")
    "You know"

What was wrong with "I was impressed by my first lecture"

Let's hope he never becomes a broadcast announcer