Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to: Non-Jazz (2012)

Player to be named later duaneiac's Avatar

Where Does Love Go -- Charles Boyer. M. Boyer recites his way through this album of ballads. It's actually an effective gimmick on tunes like "Once Upon a Time" and "Hello, Young Lovers".
    Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
    I ache in the places where I used to play
    And I'm crazy for love, but I'm not coming on
    I'm just paying my rent every day
    In the Tower of Song -- Leonard Cohen

Rock Of Ages - The Band In Concert

Joyous, beautiful, sad, reflective.

Gabriela - Viento Rojo

Magnolia Electric Co-Trials And Errors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcA5n9QeRQ

I know saying "influenced by Neil Young" is really cliche but it`s definitely the case with MEC and their leader Jason Molina.He`s been ill recently and I hope he recovers and comes back with a new album

Quote Originally Posted by walkin View Post
    Magnolia Electric Co-Trials And Errors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcA5n9QeRQ

I know saying "influenced by Neil Young" is really cliche but it`s definitely the case with MEC and their leader Jason Molina.He`s been ill recently and I hope he recovers and comes back with a new album

Definitely Young influenced singing and playing - good stuff. Made me want to hear some Young so I'm listening to this one right now -

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar
    'Been listening to an unusual amount of non-jazz lately, more than I have in quite some time. I tend to go on a non-jazz bender now and again, but this one's been going on for a couple of months, which is one reason I haven't been posting much in the General Discussion forums as of late. Jazz still makes its way in the rounds, and I suspect it won't be long before I get back into the fold, but lately it's been a lot of other stuff - world music, blues, 70's and 80's indie/alt, even a brief close harmony bender, checking out Barbershop and a capella type stuff. Maybe Matt Wilson will shake me out of this on Sunday (final concert of this year's Boise Jazz Society series). Anyway, I listened to these today:

I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Baked, Not Fried View Post
    'Been listening to an unusual amount of non-jazz lately, more than I have in quite some time. I tend to go on a non-jazz bender now and again, but this one's been going on for a couple of months, which is one reason I haven't been posting much in the General Discussion forums as of late. Jazz still makes its way in the rounds, and I suspect it won't be long before I get back into the fold, but lately it's been a lot of other stuff - world music, blues, 70's and 80's indie/alt, even a brief close harmony bender, checking out Barbershop and a capella type stuff. Maybe Matt Wilson will shake me out of this on Sunday (final concert of this year's Boise Jazz Society series). Anyway, I listened to these today:

I love all types of music, so I'm checking out stuff that is unfamiliar to me on this thread all the time - just as much as I do with the jazz thread or various blogs around the net. So as long as you're in a non jazz mood .5baked, just keep keep posting away on this thread!

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
    I love all types of music, so I'm checking out stuff that is unfamiliar to me on this thread all the time - just as much as I do with the jazz thread or various blogs around the net. So as long as you're in a non jazz mood .5baked, just keep keep posting away on this thread!
    Ok, Slowshoes . . . just be careful what you ask for ;-)

Tonight:

Ugly Custard (Eponymous). Ahh, Thursday evenings . . . it may not sound like much, but as a family man with two young daughters, I pretty much have to take what I can get. Anyway, Thursday evenings, my wife takes my daughters to gymnastics. This gives me about an hour after I get home from work pretty much to myself. Typically, I break out a cold beer (something good), slap on a choice vinyl record, and crank it up to volumes typically prohibited in my household, whilst making dinner for the fam. With the insane life I lead, this hour has come to be something I cherish. Tonight, I listened to this one, which I picked up recently during Record Store Day at my local shop. There's a guy down there who's come to know my tastes pretty well through the years, a real music dude (the kind of guy you used to find at record stores back in the day, who also hosts a pretty cool spot on our local community radio station), who recommended this one to me. It's a somewhat obscure early '70's session featuring a bunch of UK studio rockers, most notably, Alan Parker. 'Not sure what you'd call this, exactly. The label calls it "psychedelic funk." I suppose that works. You could also call it acid rock, prog, or a few other things, I suppose, but when you get right down to it, it's pretty much an amalgam of instrumental rock, blues, folk, and funk, with an early '70's psychedelic flavor. Unique, periodic stuff, which I really dig, and sounds particularly good loud, with a good cold beer. Anyway, here's the only link I could find, with a sample from one of the cuts:

http://www.strut-records.com/content...e-ugly-custard
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

A Good Feelin' to Know ~ Poco

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Baked, Not Fried View Post

I listened to various songs from Bebel on her website and I really like when she is singing in her native tongue. With that in mind do you have a recommendation on what album to start with from her?

I listened to Tinariwen on the NPR tiny desk concert series and really enjoyed that as well - they have a meditative quality that hits home for me. As a side note, I'm a left handed guitar player (read hack) as is one of the guitarists in the band - I'm always impressed when lefties have learned to play without flipping the strings around. I could never walk into a music store and try out a guitar because I never learned to play with the strings upside down. Anyway, I've wishlisted them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie P View Post

A Good Feelin' to Know ~ Poco
    Jackie - your prior Poco post got me going to Amazon to see what's available for their stuff. I have everything they've put out in vinyl, but never replaced much of their music on cd. Anyway, while there I started listening to samples and reminicing and I realized not only how well their music holds up today, but how much I've missed listening to it. So I went through and read the reveiws to find out what remasters were done well and which ones are crap, and wishlisted almost their entire cataloge.

A Good Feelin' to Know is a masterpiece and is one of their best. (along with Cantamos - at least for me). I've just recently returned to work after being out for over 6 months due to an ankle injury, so as soon as we get caught up a bit financially, I'm going to be placing my order. Thanks for the wake up call.