Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to: Non-Jazz (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
    Jackie - your prior Poco post got me going to Amazon to see what's available for their stuff. I have everything they've put out in vinyl, but never replaced much of their music on cd. Anyway, while there I started listening to samples and reminicing and I realized not only how well their music holds up today, but how much I've missed listening to it. So I went through and read the reveiws to find out what remasters were done well and which ones are crap, and wishlisted almost their entire cataloge.

A Good Feelin' to Know is a masterpiece and is one of their best. (along with Cantamos - at least for me). I've just recently returned to work after being out for over 6 months due to an ankle injury, so as soon as we get caught up a bit financially, I'm going to be placing my order. Thanks for the wake up call.
    Glad to hear that slowshoes!

Long time ago I had all the Poco LPs. It was only when
    I spotted this 5CD Box did I get my wake up call.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Alb...6146479&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album...cm_cr-mr-title

Since purchase I've really been enjoying my Poco revival sessions
    - now I've got an appetite from pickin' up even more Poco titles!

Bizarrly Amazon UK list this as a Laurie Anderson album, which it's not (it's Sentieri Selvaggi).

I'm not in a position to recommend it yet, I'm slowly coming to terms with it. It's a little, too light at times (I think it's the flute). But I'm on my fifth spin, and it's beginning to take shape.

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar

I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

Holmboe: Complete String Quartets (String Quartets 1-7) [Box set]

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Baked, Not Fried View Post
    What a great record. I have a vinyl>CD transfer of this and a real cd of the followup, Tsubo. On Promises, I particularly like the early version of "John Gaudie" that would ultimately end up in Fairport Convention's repertoire (albeit more electrified) when Chris Leslie joined, as well as "Hard Times of Old England."

I recently picked up a whack of box sets, including Swarbrick, Carthy, Hutchings, Thompson, Fairport and Cropredy Capers, all from Free Reed. Marvelous stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    What a great record. I have a vinyl>CD transfer of this and a real cd of the followup, Tsubo. On Promises, I particularly like the early version of "John Gaudie" that would ultimately end up in Fairport Convention's repertoire (albeit more electrified) when Chris Leslie joined, as well as "Hard Times of Old England."
    John, I love that album ^^. I actually bought it on a flyer a year or two back, having seen a still-sealed copy sitting in a bin at my local shop. Eventually, curiosity got the better of me. It's become a personal favorite. I didn't realize they put out other albums. For some reason, I had it in my head this was a one-off. I definitely need to hunt down some of their other stuff. 'Glad you mentioned that . . .

I imagine you're probably familiar with this band, too. 'Gave this one a spin tonight:

I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
    I listened to various songs from Bebel on her website and I really like when she is singing in her native tongue. With that in mind do you have a recommendation on what album to start with from her?
    Sorry Sloeshoes - I missed this earlier, somehow. Anyway, I'm not sure I can help you. This is the only B. Gilberto album I own. I've heard samples from her previous album, Tanto Tempo, which sound good. I think it's considered one of her best. You may want to give that one a shot . . .

http://completecommunion.blogspot.com/
    http://completecommunion.podomatic.com/

Magnetic South / Loose Salute

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band

(2LPs reissued in 1999 on 1CD)

It's been 32 years since these two albums were first released
    and I'm only getting round to checking them out now!

Grace & Danger - John Martyn