Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free jazz duos?

Quote Originally Posted by G. Davis View Post
    That one's jumping out at me, along with several others. Giving Interstellar Space a listen right now and enjoying it.
    It's a gem, that's for sure. I keep meaning to check out more Walt Dickerson... as for Sun Ra, i love pretty much everything he does but i think in particular his acoustic piano playing his highly underestimated (at least it was by me a few years ago! ).

John Coltrane / Rashied Ali Interstellar Space (never miss this one).

Smith/Blackwell and Cherry/Blackwell, Zorn/Graves, thumbs up.

Cecil Taylor/Mat Maneri - Algonquin

Bill Dixon/Tony Oxley - Papyrus (voll. I and II)

A couple of Joelle Léandre: with Steve Lacy and with George Lewis

Miguel Algarin / Albey Balgochian - Soul to Soul ... this is a last year output featuring nuyorican poet Algarin (the sole translator in the US of Pablo Neruda, as far as I know ... ) and a double bassist that shared the bill with Cecil Taylor, Ken Filiano, Charles Gayle and Steve Dalachinsky ... worth to give more than a spin, believe me.

Matthew Shipp did some interesting duos: with Evan Parker (saw them live, so don't miss them on record) and Rob Brown, as an example.

Tabozzivil, an impro/metal duo by young Turkish drummer Utku Tavil and young Italian guitarist Fabrizio Bozzi (here some excerpts from their records, issued in Italy by Setola di Maiale

I don't know if Arrington DeDyoniso from Old Time Relijun ever released a duo record, but he sometimes have some nice and firey plays with double bassists and kind of stuff, and they're worth listening, so if he's around, enjoy him.

.... and oh, one of the nicest, Han Bennink and Peter Brotzmann Schwarzwaldfahrt, recorded in a forest in Germany in the seventies. You hear birds, water, Han stumming on trees ...
    http://completecommunion.blogspot.com/
    http://completecommunion.podomatic.com/

Thanks for the continued suggestions! I have enjoyed taking some time to looking into a few of them. I haven't found any that have completely blown me away just yet but I have only had the opportunity to listen to very little of what has been mentioned thus far. For whatever reason lately I've been digging the guitar, so any additional suggestions in that direction would be welcome!

I really enjoy Sun Ra/Walt Dickerson, the sound of the vibes on that one are really beautiful. Of course, as mentioned before, Interstellar Space is great as well. Anthony Braxton/Derek Bailey didn't do so much for me on first listen, but I'll have to revisit it when I get a chance.

I hope others have been able to enjoy this thread with me.

Being you into guitar, you'll find interesting Nels Cline revisiting Interstellar Space with Rashied Ali .... also Cline / Elliott Sharp duo recordings (on Italian label Long Song Records) would be worth spinning.

Leroy Jenkins/Rashied Ali - "Swift Are The Winds of Life"

Leroy Jenkins/Abdul Wadud - "Straight Ahead/Free At Last"
    "Don't play what's there, play what's not there.”
    Miles Davis

You know, back in the early 1990s, I remember going to hear Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy, just the two of them. I think several albums came out of that tour/period. Most recently, I saw Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman who are touring by themselves; I caught them at the recent Savannah Music Festival.

Thinking about only two musicians making music, I'm thinking there's some "cheating" going on if one of them's a pianist, since a pianist can cover melody, harmony, bass lines, and percussion/time keeping all on that one instrument.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
    -- Anathem, Neal Stephenson

Heritage H-157 (Tobacco Sunburst)
    Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
    Dingwall Super J Standard (Natural Wood)
    Yairi-Alvarez DY-90

two nice ones with the great dutch drummer:

Han Bennink/Ellery Eskelin: Dissonant Characters
    Han Bennink/Myra Melford: Eleven Ghosts

both on hatology

That sounds like an interesting combo, I'll have to give it a listen as soon as I get the chance... tomorrow probably.

Sam Rivers and Dave Holland recorded two albums of duets for the IAI label in the mid-1970s.

The Eric Dolphy/Richard Davis duets are remarkable. They have been reissued many times.

Chris Corsano & Paul Flaherty (several albums)

/end thread

Derek Bailey duetting with Will Gaines (tap dancer) but he also duetted with loads of other musicians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLD4v_FauJI
    Roger F

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny." - Frank Zappa

Ian Carr and Nucleus | Remembering Tubbs

Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan recorded two fine duet albums--Goin' Home and Trouble in Mind.

I have a Japanese import CD of Dave Holland and Steve Coleman - Phase Space.

There's a lot of freedom there within form....

Anthony Braxton and Muhal Richard Abrams--Duets 1976

John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner--Sargasso Sea