Thread: Wich turntable element best suited for Jazz (upto $250,-)?

Wich turntable element best suited for Jazz (upto $250,-)?

In the past I always used my turntable for DJ-ing, so I had a Ortofon Concorde Pro silver for my Technics sl1200 mk2. But since a while, I gave up DJ-ing, and the turntable is now only in use for playing (jazz) records. Therefore I want to buy an turntable element best suited for this. Wich turntable element are you all using, and why do you think that is a right element for playing Jazz? My budget is around $250,-
    "Any form of art is a form of power; it has impact, it can affect change, it can not only move us, it makes us move."

I'm also using a Technics SL-1210 MK2 for vinyl playback. While it is probably not the ideal audiophile solution, I find that my Shure M44G cart is more than adequate to playback my collection of vinyl, jazz and otherwise. I'm sure there are carts better suited for the task, but I suppose ignorance is bliss. This combo sounds great on my modest system.

Quote Originally Posted by niels View Post
    In the past I always used my turntable for DJ-ing, so I had a Ortofon Concorde Pro silver for my Technics sl1200 mk2. But since a while, I gave up DJ-ing, and the turntable is now only in use for playing (jazz) records. Therefore I want to buy an turntable element best suited for this. Wich turntable element are you all using, and why do you think that is a right element for playing Jazz? My budget is around $250,-
    I think you're referring to the cartridge and stylus. There is no cartridge best suited for "jazz". Any quality cartridge and stylus capable of 20 to 20K will do.
    pull down, tear up

I've always understood that the best reproduction you can get depends on the weakest component in your system.
    If you have $50 speakers your vinyl will sound like crap even if you are playing them on a $1,000 turntable or through a $1,000 amp.
    Keep the Blue Flame Burning

Bargain classic: Shure M97xe. Warm pretty good detail, and at $89 fights way above its weight class. I've got a soft spot for this one as it was my first cartridge.

For a little more the Ortofon Blue for $225 is an excellent cartridge as well.

The Ortofon Blue was on my shortlist, but in the end I went for the Denon 103, and I'm very happy with it.
    "Any form of art is a form of power; it has impact, it can affect change, it can not only move us, it makes us move."

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I've always understood that the best reproduction you can get depends on the weakest component in your system.
    If you have $50 speakers your vinyl will sound like crap even if you are playing them on a $1,000 turntable or through a $1,000 amp.
    Given the choice between a strong front end (source to amp) and a strong back end (speakers), I'll take the strong front end. A decent speaker can sound great with a strong front end driving it, moreso than a great speaker being driven by a weak front end. That's the mistake most people make - they buy what's potentially a great speaker but skimp on what's in front.

When I was in the game I often set up a strong front end - no price limit - to drive $200 properly staged bookshelf speakers. Invariably, given the sound, people were floored to discover the low cost of the speakers.

I own Wilson Audio Watt/Puppies. They are extremely efficient to drive - you could push them with a receiver, just to make a point - but they require all of what I'm driving them with - Sonic Frontiers tubes and a VPI Scout table...
    pull down, tear up

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Using A Blue Point No. 2 on an RB250 arm on a Michell Mycro deck

The other question I suppose is MM or MC cartridge?

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)