Thread: I am Sebastian Rodriguez, 13 yo kid and my hobby is to play the piano

Piano player

Smile I am Sebastian Rodriguez, 13 yo kid and my hobby is to play the piano

Hi all,

This is my first post. My Name is Sebastian Rodriguez. I turned 13 last october. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

My hobby is to play the piano. I went to my first Jam Session last week and would like to share some videos.

Summertime, with Miguel Sinagra (trumpet and vocals)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioXxF5g0dXM

Improvisation on blues in C with my teacher Gustavo Silva and Miguel Sinagra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioXxF5g0dXM

Here is some older stuff:

Some blues improvisation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45HDMMCCMJ8

A little sound test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2CwQvgC06M

Playing corcovado live with Gustavo Silva (this was my first live concert ever)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frOhNTSmSo8

My dream is to travel one day to the US and learn and play with true jazz musicians

Thanks for your comments!
    Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,
    welcome to AAJ, glad to have you on board! Thanks for sharing your videos. I can/hear see you are working very hard. I especially like your Blues improvisation #2. Keep it up, make shure you are having fun learning and I hope you will be able to fulfill that dream.
    Good luck to you!
    regards, page

Piano player
    Thank you page for the kind words. I enjoy very much playing, as a matter of fact I learned by watching my dad and sitting next to him and started playing since I was around 3 yo.

He never asked me to sit at the piano or study music. Whenever I wanted to play a song he would explain the harmony and how to play it with a few notes at first. After that he started teaching shell position in the left hand and chord voicings on the right.

He always insisted that music should be like learning language, and that once you own the vocabulary you need to say your own and improvise.

I have been enjoying the ride, though I have to admit that I do not play much... 15 to 20 mins a day usually.

Now my dad took me to 2 or 3 jam sessions and I was thrilled by the public and the energy that music generates... and want to learn some more.

I thought that in this forum I was going to get more comments, from musicians and fans, about what they liked and the mistakes I make... or most important, if when they watched the videos, whether I could transmit a little through my music.

Best regards
    Sebastian

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Hi Pastito,

I'll move your thread to the musicians forum -- many of our musicians hide in there and never come out

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Piano/Compose/Arrange engelbach's Avatar
    Hola Pastito,

Bienvenidos al Forum.

¿Cómo aprendiste inglés tan bién?

Since you have a teacher, who seems to be guiding you in the right direction, I think it is proper to offer only some general ideas.

Music is a language. When you speak, you string your ideas together with phrases. Music is improvised in the same way, with short statements that logically follow each other to express a whole story.

If your time is erratic or your phrases muddy, it's like stuttering or not being sure about what you want to say.

So it's important to aim at first for very clear and simple musical statements, with as little clutter as possible, making every note count. And to play "in the groove," with a sense of swing, smoothly and with momentum that propels the music forward.

I think you've learned a great deal in a short time. ¡Buena suerte!

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach, piano/arrange/compose
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Piano player
    Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Hola Pastito,

Bienvenidos al Forum.

¿Cómo aprendiste inglés tan bién?

Since you have a teacher, who seems to be guiding you in the right direction, I think it is proper to offer only some general ideas.

Music is a language. When you speak, you string your ideas together with phrases. Music is improvised in the same way, with short statements that logically follow each other to express a whole story.

If your time is erratic or your phrases muddy, it's like stuttering or not being sure about what you want to say.

So it's important to aim at first for very clear and simple musical statements, with as little clutter as possible, making every note count. And to play "in the groove," with a sense of swing, smoothly and with momentum that propels the music forward.

I think you've learned a great deal in a short time. ¡Buena suerte!

Cheers,
    Jer
    I learned my English at school :P

My Dad tells me that all the time, that I should focus on rythm. But he also says that I am only 13 and that pushing the limits is a good way to learn too, and that eventually I will mature and find my own way to make music with fundament.

I like trying to play as fast as possible and I do not mind risking that even in public.

On summertime, when I heard that the trumpet/singer was good and he took over the melody I chose to embellish the song with little right hand improvisations. It was nice to play Jam, with no rehersal... even though I would have played different in a lot of ways today.

I am focusing on learning more language and will start working centered in 4 or 5 tunes. Learn how to read the realbook an arrange the voicings, do the comping first, then do the comp/melody and finally do a little improvisations on scales based on the harmony. Starting with simple tunes harmonically-wise and then attacking some more complex songs.

Right now I am working on:

Blues in general
    Summertime (which is a blues with a little twist)
    Corcovado
    Garota de Ipanema
    Insensatez

Do you think I am headed in the right direction?

What would you suggest?