Thread: Woody Shaw's "Cassandranite"

Woody Shaw's "Cassandranite"

On Woody Shaw's "Cassandranite" recording from 1965 there's a song titled "Baloo Baloo" by Johnson.

Anyone know the composer's full name and any other information about the song.

The record was recorded in 1965 but not released until 1983.

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crewman76 View Post
    On Woody Shaw's "Cassandranite" recording from 1965 there's a song titled "Baloo Baloo" by Johnson.

Anyone know the composer's full name and any other information about the song.

The record was recorded in 1965 but not released until 1983.
    I have this lp under the title "In the Beginning." Unfortunately, I don't have the original liner, and the jacket doesn't credit anyone on the track listing. The label on the disc, though, perhaps gives a clue, crediting the tune to "H. Johnson."

One guess might be Howard Johnson, the tuba player/bari saxist. I believe he was emerging on the scene about that time, and I know he recorded with Shaw a few times not long thereafter, in the late '60's, as co-sidemen with Andrew Hill.
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

I have this album on a double CD reissue from 32 Jazz. It also includes the 1975 "Love Dance" date. I will have to dig it up and see if the liner notes have more information on Mr. Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Baked, Not Fried View Post
    I have this lp under the title "In the Beginning." Unfortunately, I don't have the original liner, and the jacket doesn't credit anyone on the track listing. The label on the disc, though, perhaps gives a clue, crediting the tune to "H. Johnson."

One guess might be Howard Johnson, the tuba player/bari saxist. I believe he was emerging on the scene about that time, and I know he recorded with Shaw a few times not long thereafter, in the late '60's, as co-sidemen with Andrew Hill.
    Yeah, the "Last of the Line" double CD liner notes also credit "Baloo Baloo" to "H. Johnson".

I think you're right, .5. It must be Howard Johnson.