Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radio airplay versus youtube

radio airplay versus youtube

as a record producor with my own lable, ive gotten decent airplay in my time, for sure not enough to be famous , but, i have had plenty of experiances of getting my stuff on the air

but, these are new and strange times in the music business. nothing we took for granted before aplies in the exact same way as before

like cd's. some people say you shouldnt press them anymore, but, i dont see where radio , print media or trying to get an a and r's attention are just outright accepting mp3's now...i could be really wrong about that

i still press cd's but , with reservations

so , with that in mind, im wondering if radio is a factor anymore ? do people really listen to it ? many times , if i listen for a moment, they dont even id the artists..

youtube seems to be a more gratifying way to reach people. anyone who comes in is coming in to see your work exactly...you can see how many people have seen your work...how many people listen to a show that might play my cut on the radio? there is no way of telling...

im starting to think, youtube is more important than radio airplay

Personally I never listen to music on the radio. Ever. I have an extensive collection of music I have spent a great deal of time and money accumulating, and when I want to listen to music, I use it.

Perhaps more important in this case is the question of how people find new music to listen to.

New music comes to me in many different ways, but first and foremost I've become attuned to my own likes and dislikes. It's almost a sixth sense one can develop. I am not afraid of experimentation, and I'm certainly not afraid of buying something I find no value in - it has so very rarely happened in my lifetime of music buying.

How do I find new music? Well, a year or so ago, I bought a copy of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. I saw it very cheaply, and it has a reputation, so I wanted to experience it. When I got home, I looked around the net for a bit, and I came across a transcribed version performed by a jazz band called Zeitkratzer. Of course, I had to have that! Loved that one, so bought a bunch of other Zeitkratzer titles (I now own 14 or so CD's from them).

Zeitkratzer covers a piece by David Lang. I didn't know Lang, but I liked the piece, and I looked him up. Lang is a minimalist, and he has had a lot of discs released by Cantaloupe. So I checked out Cantaloupe's web site, and soon realized that it was run by Bang on a Can, whom I already knew musically. It was clear they were releasing some curious things, and I've ordered 7 or 8 of their discs to try them out (plus the Lang's). I just know I'm going to love what I've ordered. And it turns out a member of Zeitkratzer has also recorded for them.

In the mean time a friend of mine is really into choral music - Hilliard Ensemble etc. I have some of their music, but I admit to finding it a little too alive for me. But I like the voices. So I do some research, and get introduced into Theatre of Voices. From their I find an incredible recording of In C, but also another terrific choral piece by David Lang!

I'll end this thread here - but it doesn't stop at this point. The main thing I'll say is that I don't own a piece of music that hasn't somehow crossed my radar. But that's no accident - I'm always opening myself up to the possibility of stumbling onto something. Each CD I own is part of a long thread of interests, curiosities, and experimentation.

I miss things, of course. But I don't find myself short of music, only of time to listen as I would like. One flaw I will admit too, I have a physical relationship to my music [no, not that kind]. I choose it, I commit to it (I pay for it with my hard earned money), I get it and hold it in my hands, open the case, place the CD into the player. Hence, digital only holds no great love for me. Convenient, yes. But for paying for? No. In fact, I don't even consider the digital files I have (I make them to listen on the train each day) as being part of my collection. I don't believe a set of digital files equates to a music collection. I could download Terrabytes of digital files if I wanted, but it wouldn't constitute a collection, imo.

However, I'm a dinosaur - and I appreciate that new music needs to be digital, and perhaps even digital only. Though I mourn physical media.

I follow my heart, and it never lets me down musically. That's how I find things.

vaughan, has youtube ever played into you getting an interest in the music of someone and leading you to buy their work?

Do people buy music anymore? With what is available on free internet radio, and all the music on youtube, I haven't purchased any music for a couple years, and I listen to more new music than ever. That's why music has so little economic value at this point in history. I also don't invest in the 2 hour round trip to see live jazz either, but I just watched performances of the best that jazz has to offer on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smith View Post
    Do people buy music anymore? With what is available on free internet radio, and all the music on youtube, I haven't purchased any music for a couple years, and I listen to more new music than ever. That's why music has so little economic value at this point in history. I also don't invest in the 2 hour round trip to see live jazz either, but I just watched performances of the best that jazz has to offer on youtube.
    How does that work though? I mean, i get that there's plenty to hear out there available on youtube and what not, more than enough to keep you busy for a lifetime, but... i mean, if you want to live with a full album and listen to it over and over again... i mean, just as an example of an album i've been loving lately, Further Explorations by Corea/Gomez/Motian, can you point me to where i could hear the album in full online without illegally downloading it?

On the radio vs youtube thing, i've definitely discovered music through youtube, but there's frustratingly little available for many current artists i'm into, and that's including crappy cell phone recordings etc. Do a search on Tony Malaby, Tony Malaby's Novela or anything by the John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble... the Convergence Quartet or on the completely ridiculous side Joe Morris... there's a few things there but i know i won't be tossing out my CDs just yet... Can you point me to where i can hear Henry Threadgill's This Brings Us To Vol 1 on youtube?

Still, i do think it's a great way for artists to promote themselves and for listeners to check stuff out... there's some truly amazing stuff on youtube, full concerts etc of artists that i'll never get a chance to witness in person, but as long as albums are an option i'll be buying them.

Detroit (not really, about four miles north of it.)
    In the Metro Detroit area we have two US stations that play Jazz. Both are public radio. One of them, 90.9 plays jazz from 7pm till 5am and then classical music there on. The other is 101.9 NPR and it is on the Weekends, don't even know when it starts. There is one Canadian that plays jazz at night as well, again not quite sure what days or time slots.
    If I am in my car and the local sport radio doesn't have a game on I am into I always have on 90.9. The Dj's talk about the music and keep me informed, some better then others.
    I explore youtube but I use it to find older recordings, it is 90.9 that introduces me to new artist.

When I am home at the computer I use Accujazz, downstairs I use the old turntable and still listen to vinyl.

so to sum it up, radio airplay is still important to me.
    Rev.Wrona

Rev.Wrona@gmail.com

Probably the biggest change in my listening habits, post internet, is I can listen before I can buy. And that I have to buy drink coasters, because I don't any more CDs that turned out to be unlistenable only after I had paid for them.

I *do* listen to a radio morning show on the drive into work. And I do buy music based on what I hear during that show. But the show I listen to does half-hour interviews with musicians, and it's not particularly jazz oriented.

great to hear the differant opinions

im just wondering as an artist trying to put work out , is the radio more powerful than youtube now? or , has youtube got more chance to get attention ?

dont a lot of radio statins not even mention the artists anymore?

youtubes can actualy get you gigs

yeah, selling records is slowly melting out of sight

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    That's actually pretty cool... this service is not available in Australia or New Zealand where i spend most of my time though so is not an option for me... but yeah for those that can take advantage of it and are satisfied with streaming digital files i can now see why they would never need to buy a CD again. Cheers.

It appears that you have to be on facebook to use spotify. What if, like me, you are not on facebook?

Spotify is apparently set to become available in New Zealand any day now ...
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10792027
    Timely! Cool, when it becomes available it will be handy for previewing albums before i buy them.

EDIT: good rhythms, apologies by the way for accidentally hijacking this into a Spotify thread
    Last edited by xybert; April 29th, 2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: apologise for hijack

im just wondering, as a muscian promoting works , a good radio campain costs a lot of money mailing out to lots and lots of radios stations

should a musician really worry about sending huge amounts to radio stations anymore?

wouldnt the money invested in so many mailings be better spent on making a promotional youtube? and you can isolate a few radio stations that you might have a better chance to get played

do radios have that big an audiance now a days? especialy jazz radio?

they hardly say the names of the artists

No need to be on facebook ... I'm not, and I use Spotify all the time. Go to www.spotify.com to download the free software.
    When I try to register I get the message "You need a Facebook account to register for Spotify. If you have an account, just log in below to register. If you don't have a Facebook account, get one by clicking the 'create an account' link below." Maybe it's a New York thing. Oh well...

I listen to radio almost every day. 1010 wins (news radio) while in the car. I like Jazz Alternatives on wkcr (wkcr.org), especially on Wednesday nights when the show features a guest artist, usually to promote a new CD or a concert coming up. The guest musician brings music to play that they love and has influenced them and they talk a lot about their career and musical approach. Very good program, but I doubt it has a huge listener base.

youtube is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't know how I would live without it. I love watching old videos of favorite jazz and latin musicians and checking out the new cats on the scene -- it's great to see them in action. I also use it to listen to songs of Salsa singers I will be working with at upcoming gigs -- usually they send me pdf charts ahead of time but not the mp3's, so I can follow the charts on youtube for reference. Very handy for that.

Piano
    Quote Originally Posted by tpt1 View Post
    When I try to register I get the message "You need a Facebook account to register for Spotify. If you have an account, just log in below to register. If you don't have a Facebook account, get one by clicking the 'create an account' link below." Maybe it's a New York thing. Oh well...
    Sadly, you're right. Apparently this was a change to Spotify made last September, after I started using it.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/24064...ing_users.html

Being a person who wants nothing whatsoever to do with facebook, I won't be recommending Spotify again!