Thread: stan wood's vibraband

stan wood's vibraband

just discovered this instrument, invented by stan wood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7GvMt0fhLN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-FITkSpLfWk

Pretty amazing..... even though it doesnt seem to play a single note in tune

But the sound texture is pretty deep, reminding of Bitches Brew.

what do you think ?

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    I've got severe doubts about that. There is a resonance there that should not come from that.

At the moment my vote is for wind-up I thought maybe it was a 1st April upload

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

the more i listen to it the deeper it gets....

The guy's a sax player who thought it would be funny to record himself noodling around and then "play" the result on one of those little sticks doctors put down your throat, that or a big rubber band.

I think he's watching himself play on a small monitor and mimicking the fingering on his "vibraband."

Also, notice how, on the second video, there's not one single shot of the three of them playing together. A shot like that would be the real seller. But it doesn't happen.

No way is that a real instrument. Impossible.
    "Funny...when you talk to Jay on the phone, he actually seems quite normal and not insane at all." Phil Kelly

really ? but it doesnt sound like a sax or trumpet.. it does't have the echo a horn would have

As a kid we used to "play" i.e make noises with, broad elastic bands stretched over flat ice lolly sticks.

It sounds nothing like that

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

yeah and i've been playing the saxophone for 3 weeks and i sound nothing like charlie parker...

what kind of argument is that ?

Just pointing out that if that is what I think it is and is an elastic band stretched over a flat stick, then it was not "invented" by anyone in particular, and was already around in the 50s and probably a good deal earlier.

Also, if you happen to play a reed instrument, especially a double reed like oboe, that that seems to resemble most, you will know that you cannot get that depth of sound or vibrato out of the reed alone

there's no stick, it's just a "postal office" rubberband cut in half...

i've read that he plaid live on jay leno's show. the video is on youtube but can't be seen because of nbc restrictions...

i don't think it's fake, it does have its own sound, now i don't have a clue on how the guy does it. I might go to my postal office ask for rubbers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUrjLG7wGg

Thinking back on playing music by blowing on a blade of grass as a kid, I thought maybe this rubber band thing could be legit. After googling a bit, I found that playing a leaf is part of traditional folk music in southeast asia, and there's tons of videos. The timbre is very similar. I'm pretty convinced that Stan's vibraband might be the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyFc...eature=related

I know Stan Woods, played with him a number of times, he's been doing this for a long time and is totally the real deal. I play a 'real instrument', he plays circles around me. Nice guy too.

Well I'll be damned.
    "Funny...when you talk to Jay on the phone, he actually seems quite normal and not insane at all." Phil Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by danasgoodstuff View Post
    I know Stan Woods, played with him a number of times, he's been doing this for a long time and is totally the real deal. I play a 'real instrument', he plays circles around me. Nice guy too.
    can he play like ballads ? in tune ? it seems he's better at setting a mood, with great sound effect and texture but then, it seems also kinda random. He hardly repeats the same pattern twice. but there's definitely some power about this