Thread: Pee Wee Russell/Jazz Masters

Pee Wee Russell/Jazz Masters

hi

Got this 14 tracks album Pew Wee Russell /Jazz Masters e.f.s.a collection (starting with Out of Nowhere 3.01 and ending with Pee Wee's Blues 4.22).
    In the absence of any biographic details, anybody knows from when approximately do these recordings date ?

Many thanks

patrice

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Looking at my Penguin guide, there are only 2 PeeWee albums mentioned

Jazz Reunion Candid label with Coleman Hawkins -- a 1962 issue

Jazz at Storeyville Vol 2 with Ruby Braff London label from 1957

You could google those two and see if the track listings are in any way similar

I find that searching on the album name often brings up a discography

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Patrice,

This disc is made of up two sessions. Tracks 1, 2, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12. 13, 14 are the album Portrait of Pee Wee, which is very frequently issued and widely available. The other five tracks are from a live session by the Pee Wee Russell sextet.

Portrait of Pee Wee was recorded in New York on 18 & 19 February 1958, with Pee Wee, Ruby Braff tpt, Bud Freeman tnr, Vic Dickenson tbn, Nat Pierce pno, Charles Potter bs and Karl Kiffe drs. This info is available on the web.

The other session is more problematic for me at the moment because I am not at home and don't have access to the Pee Wee discography. As far as I recall tracks 3, 4, 5, 8 & 9 were recorded in Boston in 1952, with a group including Ruby Braff again and Ephie Resnick on trombone. The others I don't recall. I can post the rest of the information in about two weeks when I return, but I am sure someone will beat me to it by then

I forgot to say that these live tracks are from the Jazz at Storyville sessions that Tenorman mentions, and that there were several other numbers recorded at the same time too. I have a double lp somewhere.

Also I think you should find that, if this is Portrait of Pee Wee, then Out of Nowhere is about 4.40 and it is Exactly like You that is 3.01.

Hope that this is all of help to you.