Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Soundtracks

Jazz Soundtracks

I just posted Vic Schermer's interview with Aaron Zigman. Aaron was the musical director for the film "The Notebook".

See http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=14335

Feel free to recommend movie soundtracks that include jazz (or jazzy) tunes.

I dug the soundtrack to "Get Shorty". I don't think I have the CD anymore, but I do remember a track from Greyboy and a track from Medeski, Martin and Wood.

Two interesting soundtracks that have never been issued:

David Grisman & Stephane Grappelli: King of the Gypsies

Then there's an Agatha Christie mystery called Ordeal By Innocence,
    with music by the Dave Brubeck Quartet (with Bill Smith).

"blow up" - directed by michelangelo antonioni. music by herbie hancock. i finally saw this movie last week. i have never heard the soundtrack album but there was a lot of good music in the film.

I dont' know if there's a soundtrack for it, but I just saw The Talented Mr. Ripley the other day, and it had a lot of jazz in it.

The Subterraineans feat. Gerry Mulligan.

"american splendor" has a lot of great jazz.

Thumbs up

Subteraneans is great - Andre Previn as well. I lost this album and would love to get it again.
    What about Polanski's Repulsion? Music by Chico Hamilton &/or Charles Lloyd.

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Anyone looking for film soundtracks should check out www.silvascreen.co.uk (there is a link to the equivalent US site from there)

It also features an album by a friend of mine - Noiresque by Sandra Lawrence (Miss Volare), doing a CD of songs from the 40s Film Noir genre. Wonderful CD and got 5 stars from AMG (plug over)

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

I found this page...

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/by_genre/jazzy.htm

Blow-Up is listed...

I didn't realize Herbie also did Death Wish...

I Want To Live starring Susan Hayward
    Larry

Krzysztof Komeda

It's not really a soundtrack album as such, but Tomasz Stanko's 1997 album 'Litania - The Music of Krzysztof Komeda' (ECM) showcases the music of Polish film/concert/jazz composer Komeda (1931 - 1969). During his lifetime Komeda was the soundtrack composer of choice for Roman Polanski, and music from 'Knife In The Water' and 'Repulsion' is newly arranged here by Stanko, who used to play with Komeda in Poland in the 60s.

It's a majestic, beautiful album, often dark and always muscular, and perhaps Stanko's best to date. The seven piece Euro/Scando line-up is well chosen: Bernt Rosengren on tenor saxophone is wonderfully gutsy and vigorous, an arresting soloist and a fine foil for some of Stanko's more wistful work; Terje Rypdal (guitar) and Joakim Milder (tenor and soprano saxophones) are also memorable - and the rhythm section of Bobo Stenson, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen makes a rock solid foundation.

On a more conventional Hollywood note: I recall Clint Eastwood's movie 'The Gauntlet' had some impassioned work from Art Pepper.
    Stay cool, hang loose, admit nothing.

Have a Little Faith Tritone Sub's Avatar
    Not sure what's on the soundtrack but I remember the movie "The Score" (a thriller with Robert DeNiro) had a scene with Cassandra Wilson performing in a club and another scene with Mose Allison.

Have a Little Faith Tritone Sub's Avatar
    Oh, and I almost forgot "Finding Forrester". Bill Frisell did most of the music for that soundtrack.

"Ascenseur pour l'échafaud," aka "Elevator to the Gallows" -- Miles soundtrack, Jeanne Moreau as the female lead.

I also like a lot of the music in "Kansas City," "Sweet and Lowdown" and "The Cotton Club." (Though i hate gangster movies...)