Thread: MP3 music in the car?

MP3 music in the car?

I hope this may be the right place to get some advice on an idea that I have for my new vehicle. I'm wondering if I can install an MP3 player with enough memory to store a few hundred hours of music and access it in my new vehicle (an Infiniti FX 35). At this point I don't really know anything about MP3's yet, so I have a few questions. The car MP3 units that are available - do they have large capacity for storing music, or would I be better off trying to rig up a connection for one of the personal portable units? I've looked at the Apple Ipod, which has 20 Gigs of storage space, I believe. I'm not sure how it works - would I be able to record MP3 files on my windows based PC at home, and then transfer them to the Ipod in the car? Has anyone done anything like this, or know of a unit better suited to what I'm aiming at? I just love the idea of a mobile juke box with hundreds of hours of my music stored in my car. Any knowledgeable help here?

Thanks for any advice,
    Mike

I bought a Pioneer cd player that is MP3 compatable for my truck. I can't store hundreds of hours of music on it, but I made an MP3 cdr with nearly 150 tracks on it.

Woodhugger
    My suggestion: get an iPod and an adapter-cassette (or a car-audio-system with input). iPod 15 GB id like $300 and you can store months of MP3 on it. But you'll need a computer ...

When you say I'll need a computer.. why is that? For the memory, or is the Apple Ipod not compatible with Widows PC generated MP3 files? That's one of the concerns I have, since I'm familiar with neither Apple products nor the MP3 format! I do want a large storage memory. I take l-o-o-o-n-g drives, and have been known to take binders with 200 or so CDs with me on my cross-country trips. Never know what urge to hear something will strike while driving through the wilderness.

"When you say I'll need a computer.. why is that?"

For all the CDs from you collection that you've ripped (i.e., converted into
    MP3 files), for one. You'll need a computer with a CD-R drive (at very least) to do that.

See http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=14428, which is a great primer for someone who's new to digital files - and has some great info. for those who know their way around the block, too.

The beauty of the iPOD and the cassette adapater - 100 percent guaranteed non-interrupted listening time in the car, as opposed to the FM transmitter which can lose an FM station and then you have to change FM stations to get your connectivity back. Also, should your cassette adapter die, a new one runs from $14.99 to about $19.99. The one I'm using now has been just fine since last July.

Marla

Yes! Although i had problems with a Belkin adapter, and ended up buying one from Radio Shack -- MUCH better.

Satellite radio can be great, too, but having your own music collection to take on the road beats all.

I wish I had a car built for the ipod, but until that day an ipod with cassette adapter in the car, and an imac at home--that's pretty darn great. Currently traveling with 5372 tracks--about 22 days of music, on my ipod.