Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216 LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 3239

Thread: British jazz Re-issues Next Batch

From the Wayside Music forthcoming list...

ELTON DEAN'S NINESENSE-The 100 Club Concert 1979 (2 x CDs of Elton's great, large band in concert! On Reel Recordings!)
    FANTASTIC!

Also, some detail on the Matching Mole studio album reissues, forthcoming on Esoteric...

both of these are being released in expanded/remastered editions by Esoteric with studio outtakes as well as BBC material added!
    That'll start 2012 off nicely then.

Horrible noises at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by point_moot View Post

FANTASTIC!

Also, some detail on the Matching Mole studio album reissues, forthcoming on Esoteric...

And also on Esoteric, released on 30 January, I'm looking forward to two Gary Boyle reissues including his first solo one "The Dancer":
    http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric-exd.asp?id=3456
    Roger F

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny." - Frank Zappa

Ian Carr and Nucleus | Remembering Tubbs

FANTASTIC!

Further to Point Moot's heads up, the following info is from Reel Recordings FB site and the detail is mouthwatering. I am REALLY looking forward to this one! And I quote...

"REEL RECORDINGS ~ RINGS IN 2012!
    Announcing our March 5th release

ELTON DEAN’S NINESENSE
    THE 100 CLUB CONCERT 1979
    (RR024/025)

Celebrating an exhilarating jazz concert performance captured in analogue.
    Selected from the private tape library of Italian jazz aficionado Riccardo Bergerone.
    Produced in cooperation with the Estate of Elton Dean, the musicians, and Ogun Records.

For the many friends and fans of the late saxophonist and composer Elton Dean, this poignant double compact disc release is the debut presentation of a complete concert performance from Elton’s ensemble of Brit-Jazz firebrands known as Ninesense. Elton Dean was a consummate musician, widely recognized for his indelible sound and serpentine solos on alto sax and saxello. From his roots in the R&B styling of Long John Baldry’s Bluesology, through The Keith Tippett Group, Soft Machine, and Just Us, Elton founded Ninesense from London’s finest jazz upstarts: Alan Skidmore, tenor & soprano saxophones; Mark Charig, cornet & tenor horn; Harry Beckett, flugelhorn & trumpet; Nick Evans & Radu Malfatti, trombone; Keith Tippett, piano; Harry Miller, bass; Louis Moholo, drums. Joining Ninesense during their second set is American trumpeter Jim Dvorak. Throughout The 100 Club Concert, 1979 Ninesense deliver staggering renditions of Elton’s magnificent charts, two of which, ‘Bounce’ and ‘Marks’ are hitherto unrecorded. Also unique to this concert is Nick Evans’ elegant ‘First Born’. Elton’s colorful compositions are cast across a harmonically rich canvas, and noteworthy for featuring each soloist in deep with the volcanic Tippet/Miller/Moholo rhythm team, amounting to unfolding series of molten-hot trios. Thirty-three years later, it is simply extraordinary that Italian Riccardo Bergerone captured this exhilarating concert in stereo during his stay in London that winter. Ninesense: The 100 Club Concert 1979 includes Riccardo’s includes private photographs and personal notes, honoring the musician who remained his life-long friend ~ the great Elton Dean.

Highlights Include:

Booklet featuring photographs and personal notes from recordist Riccardo Bergerone!

Delivers a dynamic ‘you are there’ experience from London’s legendary 100 Club!

First ever, full-length two hour concert release of this legendary British band!

"It is already at the top of my 2012 ‘best-of’ list, and it’s not even out yet!"
    Michael Ehlers, Eremite Records

"To produce and share my recording of Ninesense is a dream come true!"
    Riccardo Bergerone, Turin, Italy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Title: Elton Dean’s Ninesense ~ The 100 Club Concert 1979

Label: Reel Recordings (Canada)

Genre: Jazz (British)

Catalogue number: RR024/025

Barcode: 654367029107

Track Listings:

CD One: First Set
    1. Oasis (20:27)
    2. One Three Nine (14:07)
    3. Sweet F.A. (14:47)
    4. Seven For Lee (16:56)

CD Two: Second Set *
    1. Nicrotto (20:50)
    2. Macks (13:18)
    3. First Born (14:00)
    4. Bounce (8:45)

Elton Dean: alto saxophone, saxello;
    Alan Skidmore: tenor, soprano saxophone;
    Mark Charig: cornet, tenor horn;
    Harry Beckett: flugelhorn, trumpet;
    Nick Evans: trombone;
    Radu Malfatti: trombone;
    Keith Tippett: piano;
    Harry Miller: bass;
    Louis Moholo: drums
    *Augmented by Jim Dvorak: trumpet

All compositions by Elton Dean, except ‘First Born’ by Nick Evans

Sony Stereophonic Analogue Recording
    The 100 Club, London, March 5th 1979"
    Roger F

Not that Roger and I are trying to outdo each other, but the cover looks like this...

Not that Roger and I are trying to outdo each other, but the cover looks like this...

ok I give in - you've outdone me, O!
    Roger F

Oh yes...

From the DownTown Music Gallery Newsletter.

BLUE NOTES [CHRIS McGREGOR/DUDU PUKWANA/JOHNNY DYANI/LOUIS MOHOLO-MOHOLO] - Before The Wind Changes: Live in Waregem 1979
    (Ogun 037; UK)
    Ogun kicks off its 2012 release schedule with the second recording from the Blue Notes' 1979 tour of Belgium and Holland, taken from tour organiser Rob Sotemann's tape archive.

Whereas the critically acclaimed first volume from this archive, Spiritual Knowledge And Grace (OGCD 035), featured an impromptu collaboration between Blue Notes members Louis Moholo-Moholo, Dudu Pukwana & Johnny Dyani and American tenor sax powerhouse Frank Wright, Before The Wind Changes focuses on the established quartet line-up with Chris McGregor at the piano and features an INCENDIARY performance from Waregem, NEVER BEFORE RELEASED IN ANY FORM!
    Essential, of course.

And Matching Mole remaster details are up.

Matching Mole - Matching Mole (double cd preorder)

A Canterbury supergroup formed in 1971, Matching Mole featured former Soft Machine drummer Robert Wyatt, former Caravan keyboard player Dave Sinclair, guitarist Phil Miller, and Quiet Sun bassist Bill McCormick.

This edition has been re-mastered from the original master tapes and is expanded to include five previously unreleased studio session alternate takes; the single versions of O Caroline and Signed Curtain, along with two BBC Radio One sessions from 1972.

The booklet restores the original artwork and includes an essay by Sid Smith.

Disc One - The original album remastered:
    1. O CAROLINE
    2. INSTANT PUSSY
    3. SIGNED CURTAIN
    4. PART OF THE DANCE
    5. INSTANT KITTEN
    6. DEDICATED TO HUGH, BUT YOU WEREN'T LISTENING
    7. BEER AS IN BRAINDEER
    8. IMMEDIATE CURTAIN
    ~ Bonus tracks:
    9. O CAROLINE (SINGLE VERSION)
    10. SIGNED CURTAIN (SINGLE EDIT)
    ~ A & B sides of single
    11. PART OF THE DANCE JAM - Recorded at CBS Studios, London (30/12/71).

Disc Two:
    1. SIGNED CURTAIN (Take 2)
    2. MEMORIES MEMBRANE - Recorded at CBS Studios, London - 29/12/71 - Previously unreleased.
    3. PART OF THE DANCE (Take 1) - Recorded at CBS Studios, London 3/1/72 - Previously unreleased.
    4. HORSE - Recorded at CBS Studios, London 10/1/72 - Previously unreleased
    5. IMMEDIATE KITTEN - BBC Radio One John Peel session, recorded 17/1/72.
    6. MARCHIDES/INSTANT PUSSY/SMOKE SIGNAL - BBC Radio One John Peel session, recorded 17/1/72.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/can...duct/104/3544/

and…

Matching Mole - Matching Mole's Little Red Record

Produced by Robert Fripp and featuring a guest appearance from Brian Eno, Matching Mole's (Robert Wyatt's post Soft Machine band) second album saw Dave MacRae replace the outgoing Dave Sinclair.

This edition has been remastered from the original master tapes and is expanded to include four previously unreleased studio session alternate takes and Matching Mole's appearance on BBC Radio One 'In Concert' from July 1972.

The booklet restores all original artwork and includes an essay by Sid Smith.

Disc One- The original album remastered:
    1. STARTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY WE CAN DRINK OUR POLITICS AWAY
    2. MARCHIDES
    3. NAN TRUE'S HOLE
    4. RIGHTEOUS RHUMBA
    5. BRANDY AS IN BENJ
    6. GLORIA GLOOM
    7. GOD SONG
    8. FLORA FIDGIT
    9. SMOKE SIGNAL

Disc Two - Bonus tracks:
    1. INSTANT PUSSY/LITHING AND GRACING
    2. MARCHIDES
    3. PART OF THE DANCE
    4. BRANDY AS IN BENJ
    BBC Radio One 'In Concert' session recorded at the Paris Theatre, London, 27th July 1972.

6. STARTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY WE CAN DRINK OUR POLITICS AWAY (Take One)
    7. SMOKE SIGNAL (Take Four)
    8. FLORA FIDGET (Take Eight)
    9. MUTTER
    Recorded at CBS Studios, London, August 1972. All previously unreleased

http://www.burningshed.com/store/can...duct/104/3543/

Before the Wind Changes: Blue Notes

RELEASE DATE
    6TH FEBRUARY 2012

January will see Ogun kick off its 2012 release schedule with the second recording from the Blue Notes’ 1979 tour of Belgium and Holland, taken from tour organiser Rob Sotemann’s tape archive. Whereas the critically acclaimed first volume from this archive, “Spiritual Knowledge And Grace” (OGCD035) featured an impromptu collaboration between Blue Notes members Louis Moholo-Moholo, Dudu Pukwana & Johnny Dyani and American tenor sax powerhouse Frank Wright, “Before The Wind Changes” focuses on the established quartet line-up with Chris McGregor at the piano and features an incendiary performance from Waregem.

The Blue Notes of course is a key band in UK and South African jazz history, and one in whom there is continual interest. This first release of a storming live set is a major event for all followers of the band. Interest in them has heightened through a growing number of related releases (particularly the Chris McGregor titles put out recently by Fledg'ling).

Press for "Spiritual Knowledge and Grace":
    "Dense, ebullient and tempestuous throughout, the near-telepathic, lightning-fast exchanges between these truly remarkable musicians is a marvel.
    Allaboutjazz"

http://harmoniamundiuk.files.wordpre...z-world-wp.pdf

Be still, my heart...

RELEASE DATE
    5TH MARCH 2012

Label: Cadillac Records
    File Under: Jazz
    Catalogue No: SGCD010/011
    Barcode: 5020675971226
    Format: 2 CD
    Packaging: digipack

Mike Osborne - alto saxophone
    Harry Miller - bass
    Tony Levin – drums

The Birmingham Jazz Concert
    Mike Osborne Trio

A LIVE DOUBLE ALBUM BY ONE OF THE FINEST TALENTS OF BRITISH JAZZ
    - RELEASED HERE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME

Osborne’s is the great ‘what-might-have-been’ story of the UK scene – a brilliant and tempestuous player who blazed
    through the 60s and 70s in the Westbrook band, in Brotherhood of Breath, in S.O.S. with Alan Skidmore and John
    Surman, in Kenny Wheeler’s Big Band and in multiple other line-ups; as well as on a small number of his own
    recordings. Yet his voice was silenced by illness in 1982 and he was never able to perform again until his death in 2007.
    So any new material is welcomed with open arms by the ever-growing audience for what is now rightfully acknowledged
    as a particularly fecund time and place for jazz. This 2CD live set is eagerly and gratefully received.
    From the sleeve notes -

Founder George West reminisces thus: I founded Birmingham Jazz in 1976 with the help of six other enthusiasts; we
    each put £25 on my dining room table and said we would promote some concerts for as long as the money held out.
    Birmingham Jazz has promoted live jazz ever since – a remarkable achievement. Our first concert was with Barbara
    Thompson’s Paraphernalia; I’m not sure who were our second but Mike Osborne’s trio with Harry Miller and Tony Levin
    was the third, on 7 November 1976.

These concerts took place in the Warwick Suite of the Grand Hotel, Colmore Row, Birmingham that was our home base
    for the first five years. The musicians gave me permission to record the concert as a souvenir on my Maxwell C180 tape
    and Yamaha recorder, and it subsequently remained unplayed in my files until unearthed in 2009; amazingly the tape
    had not deteriorated in any way and gives a very high quality documentation of an outstanding evening’s music making.
    As there had been no announcements of tune titles, several have proved slightly controversial despite being auditioned
    by a number of musicians who had known and played with Mike over the years he was active. But what is unquestioned
    is the creative quality of the Trio’s performance.

http://harmoniamundiuk.files.wordpre...d-notes-wp.pdf

Be still, my heart...

RELEASE DATE
    5TH MARCH 2012

Label: Cadillac Records
    File Under: Jazz
    Catalogue No: SGCD010/011
    Barcode: 5020675971226
    Format: 2 CD
    Packaging: digipack

Mike Osborne - alto saxophone
    Harry Miller - bass
    Tony Levin – drums

The Birmingham Jazz Concert
    Mike Osborne Trio

A LIVE DOUBLE ALBUM BY ONE OF THE FINEST TALENTS OF BRITISH JAZZ
    - RELEASED HERE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME

Osborne’s is the great ‘what-might-have-been’ story of the UK scene – a brilliant and tempestuous player who blazed
    through the 60s and 70s in the Westbrook band, in Brotherhood of Breath, in S.O.S. with Alan Skidmore and John
    Surman, in Kenny Wheeler’s Big Band and in multiple other line-ups; as well as on a small number of his own
    recordings. Yet his voice was silenced by illness in 1982 and he was never able to perform again until his death in 2007.
    So any new material is welcomed with open arms by the ever-growing audience for what is now rightfully acknowledged
    as a particularly fecund time and place for jazz. This 2CD live set is eagerly and gratefully received.
    From the sleeve notes -

Founder George West reminisces thus: I founded Birmingham Jazz in 1976 with the help of six other enthusiasts; we
    each put £25 on my dining room table and said we would promote some concerts for as long as the money held out.
    Birmingham Jazz has promoted live jazz ever since – a remarkable achievement. Our first concert was with Barbara
    Thompson’s Paraphernalia; I’m not sure who were our second but Mike Osborne’s trio with Harry Miller and Tony Levin
    was the third, on 7 November 1976.

These concerts took place in the Warwick Suite of the Grand Hotel, Colmore Row, Birmingham that was our home base
    for the first five years. The musicians gave me permission to record the concert as a souvenir on my Maxwell C180 tape
    and Yamaha recorder, and it subsequently remained unplayed in my files until unearthed in 2009; amazingly the tape
    had not deteriorated in any way and gives a very high quality documentation of an outstanding evening’s music making.
    As there had been no announcements of tune titles, several have proved slightly controversial despite being auditioned
    by a number of musicians who had known and played with Mike over the years he was active. But what is unquestioned
    is the creative quality of the Trio’s performance.

http://harmoniamundiuk.files.wordpre...d-notes-wp.pdf
    I read a good review of this in tonight's London Evening Standard and it certainly looks great. But what I really want to know is whether it was captured in stereo or mono. Doesn't seem to say this anywhere I can see. If mono then it depends on the audiophile quality (obviously not the musical quality which goes without saying). Still waiting for news on the Ninesense at the 100 Club which seems delayed?
    Roger F

Ninesense

Quote Originally Posted by RogerFarbey View Post
    Still waiting for news on the Ninesense at the 100 Club which seems delayed?
    I got mine a few weeks ago already, but I guess they shipped preorders first.

Quote Originally Posted by sambrasa View Post
    I got mine a few weeks ago already, but I guess they shipped preorders first.
    Good to know Sambrasa. I'll order it. Thanks
    Roger F

Very interesting Paul Rutherford archive recording just released on SLAM Productions...

Trombone, Baritone sax AND double bass - this one will need a good subwoofer methinks.

RAAHE '99
    SLAMCD 328
    £ 10.00 inc VAT

PAUL RUTHERFORD TROMBONE; GEORGE HASLAM BARITONE SAX & TAROGATO; SAMULI MIKKONEN PIANO; UFFE KROKFORS DOUBLE BASS; MIKA KALLIO DRUMS.
    A recently discovered live recording of Rutherford and Haslam with the Samuli Mikkonen Trio at Raahe Festival, July 1999. A concert of non-stop improvisation with a majestic Rutherford welding together a performance of great international musicmaking. A fitting tribute to the trombonist's memory.

PAUL RUTHERFORD ~ TROMBONE
    GEORGE HASLAM ~ BARITONE SAX & TAROGATO
    SAMULI MIKKONEN ~ PIANO
    UFFE KROKFORS ~ DOUBLE BASS
    MIKA KALLIO ~ DRUMS

Recorded Saturday, 31 July 1999 at "RAAHEN RANTAJATSIT".
    Recorded by Pertti Kinnunen.
    Sleeve notes by Brian Morton.
    Realised by Pauli Hallman.
    Mastered by Eric Smith, Monstersound.

duration 53:00

Composed by PAUL RUTHERFORD, GEORGE HASLAM, SAMULI MIKKONEN, UFFE KROKFORS, MIKA KALLIO.

The track is a single continuous performance, presented in 3 Movements; each movement divided into identification tags to mark different events.

FIRST MOVEMENT
    1 2:02 Piano trio
    2 4:12 Trombone & baritone enter
    3 2:19 Baritone speaks
    4 2:17 Tbn enters, initially supportive, roles reverse, bari offering support.
    5 3:39 Trombone solos
    6 1:15 Bari returns, quintet develops
    7 2:25 Piano trio, with bari more strident.

SECOND MOVEMENT
    8 4:14 Piano trio, now more positive.
    9 5:53 Trio makes space for tbn, baritone added. Tbn/bari duet and quintet.
    10 3:21 Tbn + piano, then with trio. Vintage Rutherford.
    11 5:13 Baritone inspired by tbn.
    12 2:41 Tbn re-enters, baritone subsides, leaves tbn + trio, waves of drums.

THIRD MOVEMENT
    13 1:24 Tbn, long low notes, tarogato enters. Tinkling piano, rumbling tbn.
    14 6:53 Tgto solo, bass sounds. Piano enters tgto continues, trio gets stronger.
    15 5:08 Bass prominent, tgto subsides. Quintet re-assembles with a nod towards swing before the final coda.

http://www.slamproductions.net/menus...il&QItemID=285

I have been reliably informed that a previously unreleased recording of a Chris McGregor solo concert in Durban is being prepared for release through Fledg'ling.

Hoot!

Just to draw attention to Roger Farbey's article in June's Jazz Journal about Le Dejeuner sur L'herbe by the New Jazz Orchestra, and lamenting the fact that it has never had a CD release.

See post #6 in this thread where Roger raised this as long ago as 2004!

Keep up the good work, Roger. One day, one day.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzclub View Post
    Just to draw attention to Roger Farbey's article in June's Jazz Journal about Le Dejeuner sur L'herbe by the New Jazz Orchestra, and lamenting the fact that it has never had a CD release.

See post #6 in this thread where Roger raised this as long ago as 2004!

Keep up the good work, Roger. One day, one day.......
    Thanks Jazzclub - we keep hoping!
    Roger F