Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a really good audio setup?

I just found a pair of Klipsch KG1.5's on craigslist with a harman/kardon receiver and cd player for $100. It's definitely not a really good audio setup, but it's a lot better than the computer speakers I was using.

my wife dragged me to one of those local church yard sales against my will and I ended up leaving with a NAD cd player for $3. It works perfectly. my wife left empty handed.

Logitech Squeezebox-->
    dCS Purcell Upsampler (DSD)-->
    dCS Delius D/A-->
    Pro-Ject Headbox SEII--> Sennheiser HD600
    Mark Levinson Amp-->B&W Nautilus 802

Yeah, it sounds good.

My excellent rig

Rega Planar 2 turntable w/ Sumiko blue point special cartridge
    Sonic Frontiers SFCD 1 CD player
    VTL Ultimate preamp
    Aragon 2004 power amp
    Sequerra Met 7 MK2 / Met 8 Mk2 / Met 10-8 Speakers

Very happy with the current setup.

-S

Registered User The elephant shrew's Avatar
    Well, I might as well throw in my few kronors' worth...

This is the modest little audio set-up that's currently entertaining us all in the Elephant Shrew's burrow:

Integrated amplifier:
    Accuphase E-210

CD Player:
    Bluenote Koala Tube (now known as 'Goldenote Koala Tube' after Blue Note Records forced the Italian audio company Bluenote to change its name)

Loudspeakers:
    Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 T (with Soundcare Superspikes)

Turntable:
    Rega P2 with RB230 tone arm

Pickup:
    Rega Elys

Phono Pre-amp:
    Harmony Design V9

Tuner:
    Accuphase T-107

Speaker cable:
    Analysis Plus Blue Oval

Interconnects:
    Nordic Concept Signal One

Headphones:
    AKG HearO 787

The set-up sounds reasonable, I suppose. Naturally, I'd like to sneak in a few more upgrades, but if I spend any more money on audio equipment, Mrs Elephant Shrew will chastise me most grievously. Ridiculously, she seems to feel that buying the weekly groceries and clothes for the children is more important. Can't see it meself....
    "Into the sapphire of the day with it, so we are"

No Vinyl For Me I Hate Popcorn MrAcoustat's Avatar

My system plain & simple & musical

Bow Technologies Wazoo XL Integrated 75 watts per channel amplifier

Electrocompaniet EMC-1up Cd player wonderful

Acoustats 1+1s Highly Modified amazing old speakers

Audioquest Python Interconnects

Audioquest Bedrock Speaker Cables
    Chord CPM-2600
    Electrocompaniet EMC-1up
    Acoustats 1+1 Modified
    Audioquest Python RCA
    Siltech G5 Silver String XLR
    Audioquest Bedrock

Acoustat's Heaven On Earth

Hater of Jazz Snobbery Pie-eyed blue's Avatar
    Nice stuff!

My most recent addition is a modified TEAC cd player done by Steve Deckert of Decware High Fidelity Engineering. A tubed output stage including tubed rectification and an adjustable output of up to 5V. . . . Really revealing and can be very mellow and warm (my favorite) or crisp and clear.

Drummer / Music Lover

Full-range drivers!

I have become a convert to full-range drivers because they sound so open and musical. I completely gutted the Boston Acoustic tower speakers that I have refered to several times in this thread. I covered all of the driver holes, except the bottom hole for an 8" speaker. I put Dayton woofers in there. Then I turned the speakers around and cut a hole for an 8" full-range speaker in each one and installed them. So what was the back is now the front. I use one Sherwood receiver to run the woofers in the back and one Sherwood receiver to drive the full-range speakers in the front. I run it all through an equalizer to smooth out the response. I also use the receiver tone controls a little bit to help the highs on the full-ranges and to boost the lows on the back-firing woofers. My sources are the TV or a Panasonic DVD recorder/player.

When we watch movies or DVD concerts, it sounds great: big, open, balanced, detailed, and full. I do not play CDs in there very often, but they sound quite good too.

In another room I added a Sony subwoofer to a Philips mico system, and it sounds amazingly good for a $200 system. Peace and goodwill.

I'm kind of a speaker junkie. At last count I had twenty or so pairs of speakers. My two main systems right now power a pair of Infinity QLS-1's and a pair of Martin Logan Aerius speakers. Currently the QLS has a pair of Adcom GFA-555's vertically bi-amped from a Rotel 970sx preamp. The preamp is a little bass heavy, but sounds good at low and moderate volume. The QLS's are quite interesting, with a line array of 8 emit tweeters + 1 emit on the back, 6 dome midranges, a mid bass coupler and a Watkins dual voice coil 12" woofer which has the most incredible deep octave bass I have ever heard. A well recorded stand up bass can be absolutely stunning through the QLS. It sounds like the bass player is standing right there in front of you!

The Martin Logan's, on the other hand, have an electrostatic panel which reproduce the mid and treble frequencies with stunning accuracy. For vocals they can't be beaten. The panels are truly transparent, with very fast, accurate transients.

Hater of Jazz Snobbery Pie-eyed blue's Avatar
    I guess I'm going to be a bit of a speaker junkie too soon. Or at least a collector of speakers.

I'm very happy with the Decware Radial RL2s I've used for years, especially since I have been enjoying the Decware 'flagship' amp for less than a month now, the Torii Mark II. . . .

Decware has come out with two new Radial speaker designs though, and I took advantage of a "two for one" special deal for me and will have both pair soon. The fanciest is a retail store version (all other Decware products are only available through their website) that look beautiful; I should have these in a few weeks. . . .

And then soon after that I'll have the "regular version" in house:

I'm going to be driving myself a little mad with comparisons, but I think there'll be some fun involved.

minimalist

Active ATCs
    Kind regards, Thomas
    ------------------
    "Chords ? ... We don´t play chords, we play sound."
    (Miles Davis)

Here's the full list & a link to more info and pictures:

VPI Industries Aries Turntable
    Dynavector XX1 Cartridge
    Moerch DP6 Tonearm
    DIY Seismic Sink Racks Tweak
    Hagerman Trumpet Tube preamp
    Mark Kelly TT Speed Controller Synchrotron AC-1
    Ayre CX7e CD Player
    AudioPrism Mantissa PH1 Tube preamp
    McCormack DNA-0.5 near Rev-A Amplifier
    Just Speakers (DIY) Scanspeak 717 Speaker
    REL Acoustics Strata mkIII Subwoofer
    Analysis Plus Solid Crystal Oval Interconnects
    Belden (DIY) 89259 cross connect Speaker cable
    Kaplan Copper Power Cord
    JRPC (DIY) Jon Risch design AC filter

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...064946893&view

Can't contol my Impulse!s Brett a's Avatar
    I upgraded from "vintage" (read "old") to new over the last two years or-so. Here's what i have now.

Sources:

Turntable: Rega Planar 2 w/glass platter and Incognito-wired RB250 arm with Expressimo counterweight

Cartridge:
    Audio Technica AT150Mlx (MM)

Phono stage: Jolida JD9 w/Signal Cable AC cord and Siltech MXT/New York IC's

CD player: Rotel RCD 1070 hooked up with Bogdan Audio interconnects and an Audioquest NRG-2 AC cord.

Integrated amp:
    Shanling A3000 (Dual mono configuration w/built in tube buffer for 4 inputs)

Speakers: Bower and Wilkins 683 bi-wired up with DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10

The pictures are not quite up to date. They show my old phono stage (a Cambridge Audio 640p---the Jolida is much bigger)

This turntable is called a "Planar" because that's all it is---a plane. basically a board with parts bolted on it. This one is sitting a custom sandbox plinth that I made out of MDF.

Here are some shots of the room (my living room)

Thanks for looking!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brett a View Post
    This turntable is called a "Planar" because that's all it is---a plane. basically a board with parts bolted on it. This one is sitting a custom sandbox plinth that I made out of MDF.
    That's one neat looking sandbox you have there! The usual set-ups have exposed undersides leaving a planar look even to non-Rega turntables. The design and finish meshed well with your P2. It looks like Rega P2 anniversary edition. Cool! Post your number, Terry Bateman might give you a call

Thanks for posting!
    Cultchas: For the underrated and atypical

Can't contol my Impulse!s Brett a's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cultchas View Post
    That's one neat looking sandbox you have there! The usual set-ups have exposed undersides leaving a planar look even to non-Rega turntables. The design and finish meshed well with your P2. It looks like Rega P2 anniversary edition. Cool! Post your number, Terry Bateman might give you a call

Thanks for posting!
    Thanks for the kind words. here's a picture of the box sans-Planar.

The holes in the rear wall are for the AC cord and signal cables.

And why stoop there with the attention seeking behavior? here's the Planar sans-sandbox: