Thread: Roadmap to Jazz: From Rock to Jazz

Roadmap to Jazz: From Rock to Jazz

If you like rock, you may also like...

Date: 16-Apr-1999 11:44:43
    *The first 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra recordings
    *Soft Machine:'Bundles' and 'Softs'
    *Return to Forever: 'Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy'
    *Billy Cobham "Spectrum"
    *Tony Williams' Lifetime: "Believe It" and maybe "Turn it Over" & "Emergency" for the more fearless.
    *Jan Hammer Group: "Oh Yeah"
    *Previte / Doran / Thomas / Helias: "Corporate Art"
    *Miles Davis: "Agartha", "Jack Johnson"
    *Terje Rypdal: "Chaser"
    *Ginger Baker Trio: (the first CD with Haden & Frisell)
    ....many, many other possibilities

Date: 21-Apr-1999 13:03:43
    Steely Dan:Aja (Marvellous drum work by Steve Gadd)

Date: 02-Jun-1999 23:04:13
    Mr. Bungle- Disco Volante (Jazz-meets-metal freakout!!)

Date: 21-Jun-1999 03:34:48
    Try listening to two Jazz Albums by 80's pop stars Hue & Cry. They have been making the transition to Jazz over their 12 year career and are signed to the Scottish Jazz Label 'Linn Records'. Their 1996 release 'Jazz Not Jazz' was likened to Steely Dan's 'Aja' and their new album 'Next Move' is released today 21st June. I have an advanced copy and it's really kicking.

Want more info, check out our website :-

www.ordinaryangels.freeserve.co.uk

Date: 03-Jul-1999 19:26:54
    Stanley Clarke - Schooldays
    The bass riff of the title track is reminiscent of
    Deep Purples' Smoke On the Water, but he breaks free of the dead end Ritchie Blackmore takes you. Research Stanleys catalogue and the people he worked with ( Chic Corea , Flora Purim etc) and you'll soon appreciate why he wrote his 'song' for John Coltrane.

Date: 20-Jul-1999 15:44:30
    Mahavishnu Orchestra- Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire

Billy Cobham-Spectrum

Chick Corea-Return To Forever, Where Have I Known You Before, Crystal Silence

Herbie Hancock-Headhunters

Keith Jarrett-Bremen/Lusanne Solo Concerts, the early Atlantic albums(esp. w/ Gary Burton and the American quartet), the early ECM albums(both the American and European quartets)

Gary Burton-any album

Date: 13-Sep-1999 22:24:47
    No one mentioned Brand X yet?

Date: 26-Oct-1999 11:34:11
    If you like fiery Latin Rock, ala Carlos Santana, you will
    appreciate Al DiMeola's work, especially his earlier stuff.
    He's like Carlos on speed, a tad overkill at times, but fun
    never the le

Date: 24-Nov-1999 08:41:41
    Brand X represents the true fusion rock band. Leaning toward the rock spectrum they are definitely worth listening to. Their first album "Unorthodox Behavior" is a great start. "Morrocan Roll" is their most varied album and really represent what they can do. But it youll like it!

Date: 29-Nov-1999 11:52:27
    some downtown suggestions:

John Zorn & Naked City "Grand Guinol"
    John Zorn & Masada "Live in Middelheim"
    Tim Berne & Bloodcount "UNwound"
    Tim Berne & Paraphrase

Date: 17-Dec-1999 21:46:58
    "Ask the Ages" by Sonny Sharrock did the trick for me.

Date: 02-Jun-2000 17:02:30
    Nels Cline made the bridge for me from Sonic Youth, Mike Watt to jazz. Great guitarist!!! Chest by the Nels Cline Trio is great (somewhat like Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock). Also, check out his chops on Mike Watt's Contemplating the Engine Room.

Date: 21-Nov-2000 15:36:09
    how can u find jazz entertaining. I find it tremendously boring

Date: 08-Dec-2000 22:29:55
    actually, re-transplanted to the Boston scene, just checking out music web-stuff... freak-out!! seeing name-o-Jeff Buckridge... thinkin I know that dude! Cheers mate, good to see you are still rockin! mrule

Date: 08-Jun-2001 16:46:56
    -Soft Machine
    -King Crimson -> "Lizard"
    -Kurt Rosenwinkel
    -Al di Meola
    -Companya Electrica Dharma
    -Bill Bruford
    -Eumir Deodato

Date: 28-Sep-2001 15:43:43
    I would suggest two bands who have mixed jazz with technical death metal, the result is a fast furious journey into technical perfection and pure chaos. Theese albums must be heard by any fan of fusion

Cynic - Focus
    Atheist - Peice of time, Unquestionable pressence and Elements.

Date: 28-Sep-2001 16:15:54
    I forgott Fredrik Thordendal's amazing album - Sol niger within. An album which fuses weird rhythms with some of the most amazing guitarr solos ever recorded!

Weather Report - "Weather Report (1971)"
    "To us, who were of necessary birth, for the earth's hard and thankless toil, silence 'as no meaning." -LKJ, Two Sides Of Silence

what about the best fusion Rock-Jazz Band from 1968 to 1971 Blood Sweat and Tears.

Them there’s Bill Chase's early '70's group "Chase".

It may sound a bit strange but if someone's into Cream then they are already nearly there.
    Jack Bruce being a jazz musician first has said that he and Ginger Baker wanted to play Jazz but Rock was the thing to play so they got Eric Clapton and played jazz (although they never told Eric this).

I'd also recommend lots of the 80s UK bands like Pigbag and Weekend if coming from a more punk direction and a lot of the newer bands like Zu and Spaceways Inc.
    (Pigbag being an excellent next step from a lot of the new punk-funk groups like Franz Ferdinand)

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Hi youngukjazzfan

Take a step back before Cream, and you will find the Graham Bond Organisation featuring Graham, Ginger and Jack and Dick Heckstall Smith.

Graham also played with Don Rendell on the Roarin' album.

There are wheels within wheels

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Cool Jazz-Nu Metal Fusion?

Hi-- being "new" to jazz some of you watching this thread are probably more familiar with more Popular genres of music that Jazz is fusing with. Would be great if you could give your input at my related post here (or maybe join me on this treasure hunt ...

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=11438

Moderator: I'm not sure if the rules in this Forum allow cross-posting as I'm new here; let me know if this was ok

Thumbs up Vice-Versa

If you want to cross-over from Jazz to Rock - i'd recommend giving The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex's "Life Begins Again" a listen. Jimmy Chamberlin plays for the Smashing Pumpkins, but is a classically trained Jazz drummer. Chamberlin's early musical training was primarily as a jazz drummer under the instruction of future Yanni drummer, Charlie Adams, although he was also taught by several other teachers and learned Latin, Brazilian, and big band drumming techniques. This record, his first solo-outing is in the vein of Tony Williams, and indeed on the live tour back in 2005 they played a cover of "Fred".

Chamberlin often cites Elvin Jones, Chick Webb, Mitch Mitchel, Buddy Rich, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Gene Krupa, Captain Beyond, Weather Report, and Return to Forever as influences and you can hear them all in this record. The track "Loki Cat" was written on the day that Elvin Jones died, and Chamberlin's drums play tribute to his unique feel.

I believe Chamberlin is one of Rock's greatest drummers, and had he turned his hand to Jazz full time, and judging by this record, i have a feeling he would have been regarded as one of the great Jazz drummers had he followed that particular path...

in fact - i'd recommend listening to Smashing Pumpins especially Gish, Siamese Dream and Zeitgeist if you like his drumming

What do you guys think of the Alex Skolnick Trio?? This is amazing stuff, he's the extremely talented guitarist of Testament and he made all the heavy metal classic songs into jazz...

Metal Israel @ Jemsite
    Da Boss @ Metal Israel

Rock To Jazz

I would cite the Carlos Santana/John McLaughlin 1973 release 'Love Devotion and Surrender' as getting me from Rock to Jazz, particularly the two John Coltrane covers 'A Love Supreme' and 'Naima' on this release. These two versions are inferior to the originals, but I can't be the only person who got motivated to check out Jazz as a result of this project. Santana also toured with Miles Davis in 1970,went on to record an album with Alice Coltrane, so though I don't personally rate anything Santana has done since 1977, I have to be grateful to him for his interest in Jazz during early the 1970's.

All of the above but also the great Montreux / Newport winning, jazz rock fusion pioneers Nucleus
    http://www.Iancarrsnucleus.net
    Roger F

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny." - Frank Zappa

Ian Carr and Nucleus | Remembering Tubbs

My "stepping-stone", way back when, was the first couple of albums by the English group IF.