Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charles Mingus - mingus mingus mingus mingus

Charles Mingus - mingus mingus mingus mingus

I recently purchased this album and wow! I don't think i've heard anything quite like it. I usually don't like "big band" style albums but this one is a real stand out! I especially like the song "Celia" it has this romantic evilness feel to it (if that can be said ) I also have the black saint... and I find that mingus mingus....is a lot more acessible and "easier" to listen to. So what do you guys think of this album??

Thumbs up You must check this out

If you like that stuff then you must check out Sonny Criss "Sonny's Dream" Amazing stuff. Not big band, not third stream, but incorporating some of the best things from both (and numerous other sources too)

mingusmingusmingusmingusmingus is one of my favorite albums ever, and my favorite Mingus album for sure. Everyone's playing is fantastic, the arrangements are great, and the band climax at around 5:30 secs into I X Love is one of the best. Some great Dolphy moments too, I would recommend it to everyone
    "Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight
    to the imagination, and charm and gaity to life and to everything." -Plato

You might try Blues and Roots, which has a slightly smaller band, but alot of the same qualities as Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus.

That cover art is wild... I've always been confused by the number of "Minguses" in the title.

Mingus... was actually the first Mingus album I ever purchased (actually, I was a lot younger... my dad bought it for me... real hip, no doubt). I've come to prefer most of his Atlantic combo material, but there is no denying the special air that pervades the album. II B.S. is easily a standout, boasting a breakneck pace and some killer dynamic bombast... I can barely believe that it's essentially Haitian Fight Song. My favorite, though, is Hora Decubitus. The whole album seems like a cavalcade of bluesed-out, deep-dish wailing... then comes Dolphy, swinging like a madman. One of my favorite solos ever.

Can't think of a witty title Shade of Blue's Avatar
    Definitely a top-notch Mingus album.

Although I'd say my favorites are Oh Yeah and Mingus at Antibes, though both of those are more quintet-ish groups.

User

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm@ning
    That cover art is wild... I've always been confused by the number of "Minguses" in the title.
    There are 5.
    Hip To It!

Quote Originally Posted by BFrank
    There are 5.
    That's another mystery solved. Now can someone please tell me who played the bass solos on the 1961 Arkestra version of Kosmos in Blue?

You might care to check out the orginal (?) take of 'Celia' on Mingus' magnificent 'Eastcoasting' ( Bethlehem).

Oppressed into submission jazzbluescat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade of Blue
    Definitely a top-notch Mingus album.

Although I'd say my favorites are Oh Yeah and Mingus at Antibes, though both of those are more quintet-ish groups.
    Definitely(even with the splicing); all the soloing is spectacular, too.

[BTW, I found Antibes a let-down after the Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus recording.]
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Woodhugger
    IIIB.S (or whatever its actual name was) blew me away. Unfortunately on Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus there have been cut out some parts, and it's obvious where ... :/
    But anyway, this album is full of Mingus and it's no wonder it rocks

I'm a certified Mingus nut, have everything I've ever seen of his work. I rarely reach for the Impulse material (except for the piano session which I adore!), but there is no question it is marvelous stuff. The Bethlehem and first period at Columbia material are my absolute favorites. . .
    Hey, I speak for myself. For no one else. It's no one else's opinion here but mine. I'm behind it.

Mingus Ah Um

One of my many X-mas presents

Love it!
    "Being a jazz fan never got me a date in high school. But I did take a few dates to Shelley's Manne Hole."
    --Zak Klemmer

I'm listening to "Epitaph" today and really enjoying it. I've slowly grown to appreciate this work more and more as the years go by. And also as the years go by my stereo system gets better and today this recording just sings with dyamics and depth and I was really transported for a while into the music, thinking of all the connections to Mingus' pieces and Mingus players and forgetting at one point that I was listening to this performed quite some time after his death, imagined him actually at the helm!
    Hey, I speak for myself. For no one else. It's no one else's opinion here but mine. I'm behind it.

Bury me with my jazz CDs BugsySiegel's Avatar

Rockin' with Mingus

Mingus was one of the first jazz musicians I ever really listened to ... I was a freshman in college and loaded down with Johnny Cash albums, but fortunately my roommate was a die-hard jazz fan (and player), who turned me on to Mingus and Coltrane especially.... Mingusmingusetc is unbeee-leeevable .... heard it for the first time 35 years ago and it still sounds new. He and his band swing harder than it seems possible and he out-rocks any rocker, whether metal, psychedelic, British blues, or any wailer of any genre. Mingus definitely rocks, and Mingusmingusetc is the incontrovertible proof of it!
    *** I'm always looking for stories, memories, insights from anyone who knew or performed with Jim Pepper, or who saw him in performance, or simply feels a strong connection to him and/or his music. And please check out my Web site -- www.zayde.net/jimpepperlives.html -- be sure to let me know what yu think, and to suggest any additions or corrections. E-mail me anytime at bmsiegel@adelphia.net. Thanks! ***