Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith: RIP

Jimmy Smith: RIP

Just heard over the internet that Jimmy Smith has died. Can anyone confirm this? Sad news if it is true.

sad but true

HI,
    I just found out. He did pass. Yoshis in Oakland is having a tribute with Joe deFrancesco and others. I am very sad, espcialy since after a lifetime of avoiding jazz with organ I got turned onto Jimmy's music (Cool Blues was my first taste and I liked it!!!!!!!!) I had just gotten tickets today to see Dr. Lonnie smith and Lou Donaldson, so much do I now like the genre that Jimmy Smith basicly created.

I'm definitely a fan. RIP.

At least he lived to receive his NEA Award, something Arite Shaw was not able to do. Jimmy Smith left one heckuva legacy.

this is very sad news. jimmy was one of my all-time faves.

At least he lived to receive his NEA Award, something Arite Shaw was not able to do.
    related article...

NEA Presents Annual Fellowships

By Dan Ouellette

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Since 1982, the National Endowment for the Arts has recognized the contributions of jazz artists with its Jazz Masters fellowship, the highest national honor bestowed upon the preceptors, pioneers and mentors of the genre.

In November at a Seattle gala, NEA chairman Dana Gioia announced the 2005 class of Jazz Masters: guitarist Kenny Burrell, clarinetist/saxophonist Paquito D'Rivera, arranger/composer Slide Hampton, vocalist/pianist Shirley Horn, the late bandleader Artie Shaw, organist Jimmy Smith and impresario George Wein. They joined 73 other jazz legends previously honored.

The awards, which include a $25,000 fellowship, were presented Jan. 7 at a concert/ceremony at the International Assn. for Jazz Educators annual conference in Long Beach, Calif. Speaking at an afternoon event, Gioia said, "The NEA is proud to support jazz as one of America's art forms."

Gioia announced a series of programs, including a 50-state Jazz Masters concert tour and expanded radio and TV jazz programing. But most prominent is a new program for jazz in schools.

Developed in conjunction with Jazz at Lincoln Center and Scholastic and underwritten by the Verizon Foundation (a $100,000 check was presented to Gioia), the five-unit multimedia and Web-supported curriculum will be available for free to schools beginning in February, in time for Black History Month.

After the announcement, Gioia, who has significantly upped the ante for the NEA's jazz funding since he became chairman in 2003, said that the NEA's support is crucial to a greater consciousness of jazz, as a musical form and as a social force. "We are the official arts agency in the U.S., and as such we're able to pull in national partnerships and coalitions.

"Our concert tour will be going to cities where jazz is rarely presented. And our schools program will enrich kids who have never been exposed to jazz, which is a great art that grew out of distinctively American soil. You cannot understand contemporary American culture without knowing something about jazz."
    Discover Jazz Near You! | Visit All About Jazz.

i've checked reuters, google, npr and bbc and haven't spotted an obit yet.

i did see this at the yoshi's site...

(Mr. Smith passed away February 8)
    Joey DeFrancesco & More!
    Wednesday, February 16 - Sunday, February 20
    Wed, Thu 8:00pm & 10:00pm Shows $18
    Fri, Sat Shows at 8:00pm & 10:00pm $22
    Sun 2:00pm Matinee, $5 Kids, $15 Adult W/One Kid, $18 General
    Sun 8:00pm Show $22

Yoshi's will pay tribute to the late, great Hammond B3 organist Jimmy Smith. Mr. Smith passed away on February 8.

Hammond B3 organist Joey DeFrancesco, a long-time musical partner to Jimmy Smith, will present a tribute to the legacy and the funk of Jimmy Smith, featuring special guests and B3 Organists.

i'm playing Retrospective in his honor.

48 hr.tribute on WKCR...

http://wkcr.org/ - Listen Live - RIP Jimmy
    "How many Tranes will pass before you understand your life" Jayne Cortez

i found this at Pete Fallico Doodlin' Lounge

http://doodlinlounge.com/news.html

where are the official obits??

I was fortunate to see Jimmy Smith back in 1993 at the Jazz Showcase (Chicago) in a trio with Kenny Burrell on guitar! Man! That was SMOKIN'!

I sat in the front row and Jimmy talked to all of us between sets and asked us if there was anything in particular we wanted to hear. I asked for "Satin Doll" and they did it in the second set!

Rest in peace Jimmy and thanks for all the great music! We will never see your kind again!

Saxman

oh my god this is very very sad news....right now i am listening to "open house" jimmy was truly one of the giants of the mighty hammond B-3 i am glad that they are doing a tribute to him....it is so sad when these legends leave us.....but thankful that we have their great music to remember them by....if you have any of his music take time to listen to them in his memory
    prayers and best wishes go to his family during this hard time....god bless you jimmy thank you for the awesome contributions that you made to this wonderful music.....you will be missed

i searched the aaj archives and found this mid-90s piece on jimmy...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16487#4

i just posted todd jenkins' obit...

see http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=5251

NOOOOOO!!!

Aw, man. Jimmy was right at the top of my list of "favorite living jazz musicians I've never seen perform live." I was very much looking forward to catching him and Joey at Yoshi's next week.

He was a true titan. R.I.P.

[Fo]

Only two kinds of music... Librarian's Avatar
    What a loss... I'll be spinning some records tonight in his honor.
    www.jazzandblues.blogspot.com

i don't have a lot of his records, but i very much enjoy what i have. thanks for the great music, jimmy.