1 0.95%
  • Betty Roche

2 1.90%
  • Alberta Hunter

3 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: favorite female vocalist

Although there are more improvisational jazz singers, like Betty Carter, my favourite singer on that list is Sarah Vaughan.

[QUOTE=Bev Stapleton;115533]
    Not upset, Ken. A bit of deliberate exaggeration there on my part. I'm always amused by US jazz lists that fail to realise there is a jazz world east of Cape Cod and west of Seattle. Downbeat does this on an annual basis!
    Sure, just as we play soccer (futbol) here in the US.

BTW, I included Diana Krall in my list, and she's from a place that's a bit North of Seattle. I also recognized Roberta Gamborini and Luciana Souza, who respectively hail from Italy and Brazil. Jazz is jazz. Quality is quality. Boundaries be damned.

Aside... those who have mentioned Susanne Abbuehl or Basia have reminded me of a singer somewhat in that style. I happen to like Jacintha quite a lot. She has the same sort of soft, wispy style, but she is typically accompanied by arrangements that are more in the mainstream of jazz. Whether she'd fall into a "jazz singer" category, I can't say, but she's got several very pleasant CDs to her credit.

( She's native to Singapore, if that's important )

Quote Originally Posted by NewJazz4Mike View Post
    Ever heard of:

Tierney Sutton
    Karrin Allyson
    Dee Dee Bridgewater
    Kendra Shank
    Patricia Barber
    Diana Krall
    Rene Marie
    Mary Stallings
    Roberta Gambarini
    Luciana Souza
    Nancy King
    Jay Clayton
    etc etc etc???

I think you could replace at least half of the orginal poll with these singers and then we would have a legitimate (imho) poll. Finally heard Roberta Gambarini about a year ago both live and recorded and was quite impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz_man View Post

I think you could replace at least half of the orginal poll with these singers and then we would have a legitimate (imho) poll. Finally heard Roberta Gambarini about a year ago both live and recorded and was quite impressed.

Yeah, thanks... I agree. The classic singers mentioned certainly have earned their acclaim, but this newer generation of contemporary singers also deserve recognition. They (collectively) have interesting voices, they admirably strive for creativity and they generally uphold high jazz standards. Roberta seems to have "the right stuff", alright.... great voice and true jazz instincts.

Bassist and raconteur
    I admit that I'm biased; I'm married to my favorite singer. Of the singers on the list, I'd have to say that Ella is the standard by which all female jazz singers should be judged (and Ella raised the bar so high that no one will ever be her equal). I'd hate to have to choose my favorite pop singer, though both Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee would be right up there...

Is it just me, or are a number of the ladies on the list really blues singers? Or has this been discussed and dismissed earlier in this thread?
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    www.javajivestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    I admit that I'm biased; I'm married to my favorite singer. Of the singers on the list, I'd have to say that Ella is the standard by which all female jazz singers should be judged (and Ella raised the bar so high that no one will ever be her equal). I'd hate to have to choose my favorite pop singer, though both Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee would be right up there...

Is it just me, or are a number of the ladies on the list really blues singers? Or has this been discussed and dismissed earlier in this thread?
    I can tell you that Alberta Hunter certainly was (a blues singer)! I had the very good fortune to have heard her perform a few times late in her career, and she was marvelous. A bit jazzy, but essentially a blues singer.

Among the names given I voted for Ella.

Among contemporary female JAZZ vocalists I'd vote for Dee Dee Bridgewater.
    The horizon of most people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view. (Albert Einstein)

Bassist and raconteur
    Quote Originally Posted by NewJazz4Mike View Post
    I can tell you that Alberta Hunter certainly was (a blues singer)! I had the very good fortune to have heard her perform a few times late in her career, and she was marvelous. A bit jazzy, but essentially a blues singer.
    Yep. though I've only heard recordings, I'd have to agree that she was a marvelous blues singer. And so was Bessie Smith and (in many ways) Billie Holiday.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    www.javajivestudio.com

Bassist and raconteur
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti60 View Post
    I was just surprised that Carmen's name was missing from this list
    ...and that Helen Reddy's name wasn't missing from this list.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    www.javajivestudio.com

this is kind of absurd, and out of balance, but this one recording by itself makes rebecca martin my favorite female vocalist - jazz or otherwise (this recording is mainly jazz...):

blows me away every listen. CLASSIC recording.

also can never get enough of Nina Simone and Dinah Washington.

I LOVE Dinah Washington, but only small doses, she has such an idiosyncratic voice it grates on a cd length album.

Mong the names given I voted for Sarah VaughAn (4 a's altogether) - though I can think of lots more names that the list does not include.

In a sentimental mood mingusfingus's Avatar
    Heh, funny conversation. Not an *awful* list. I don't think I've seen any mentions of Madeleine Peyroux, regarding contemporary artists who are quickly being catapulted into my favorites. Also I'm going to go out on a limb, classify Sonya Kitchell into the blues/jazz genre and call it a night. What a beautiful, mature voice at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Finishing my top 20...

16. Aretha Franklin
    17. Lena Horne
    18. Mae West
    19. Alice Faye
    20. Sarah Brightman

I honestly admit, five of the choices are singers I've never heard of...
    Who's Vilma Middleton ? and who's Alberta Hunter ? Am I somehow supposed to know ? I suppose it all comes down to personal opinion and what one is familiar with...

Has anyone ever heard recordings made by Eartha Kitt ? ("C'est Si Bon")...!!!
    How about Astrud Gilberto ?
    A Brazilian jazz singer of a very unique variety who teamed with Stan Getz in the 1960s with "Girl From Ipanema" and "Shadow Of Your Smile" and can only be described as having the softest voice ever recorded...

Yoawzah...!!!
    Lest we not forget Bebel. Astrud had a certain charm being an amateur singer, for sure, a girlish quality you cannot teach, and though her voice is surely iconic now, I don't think I'd put her in my top female vocalists.

Ella could swing in her sleep, and Billie's tragically short career is the stuff of legends ...

female jazz vocalists

Lots of great names on the list. I saw Roberta Gambarini last year with Dave Brubeck and she was awesome.

But no one mentions Dakota Staton, who died this year at the age of 73. She cut some fabulous sides in the 50's and 60's, including probably the best vocal version of Monk's "Round Midnight."