Thread: Bill Evans transcriptions inquiry?

Bill Evans transcriptions inquiry?

As a newcomer to Bill Evans (man, where has he been all my life? incredible!), i recently bought the first two volumes of the "Bill Evans Trio" transcriptions from Hal Leonard. They don't list recording dates or the albums from which the transcriptions are taken, however. As Evans recorded many tunes more than once under varying circumstances (live, studio, different backup musicians,, etc.) and my money is limited, i was hoping to find the exact albums to pick up to coincide with the transcriptions. i emailed Hal Leonard about it, but haven't received a reply. does anyone with these BET volumes (#1 - 4) have this info and could they share it? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

-mike

p.s. this is my first post to these boards and i'm sure glad i found 'em.

bills transcriptions

Hi PGV BILL EVANS is my all time favorite and I envy you because you are in for the musical thrill of a lifetime .I t would help me if you could mention the names of the tunes you refer to Good Listening charlie
    charles a pirozzi jr.

That's pretty odd HL doesn't list the sources for the transcriptions. I've looked through these pretty closely, but don't own them; I'm sure I'm confused, since there are so many books out there now with good Bill transcriptions, but I recall a number of volumes, perhaps the HL ones, which went off at least some tracks from the classic Riverside albums. Regardless if they're transcribed in the book, you'll definitely want to own "Explorations," "Waltz for Debby," and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard," and "Portrait in Jazz" -- the albums with Scott La Faro and Motian. Borrow from a library/friend to check if they're the ones written up?

I'd be curious to know which tunes are in these volumes as well, and it would help narrow down which albums are in question.

I just googled "Hal Leonard Bill Evans Transcriptions" and this came back for

THE BILL EVANS TRIO - VOLUME 1 (1959-1961)
    Artist Transcriptions

Table of contents
    Alice In Wonderland
    Autumn Leaves
    How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky)
    Nardis
    Peri's Scope
    Solar
    Waltz For Debby
    When I Fall In Love

Is this one that you just purchased? I'm doing this from memory since I don't have my CD collection in front of me right now. Here would be my guesses as to the sources:

Alice In Wonderland - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
    Autumn Leaves - "Portrait in Jazz" (2 takes on RM version)
    How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky) - "Explorations"
    Nardis - "Explorations"
    Peri's Scope - "Portrait In Jazz"
    Solar - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
    Waltz For Debby - "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
    When I Fall In Love - "Portrait In Jazz"

There are two live recordings at the Vanguard, I think they are "Waltz for Deby" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" and I often get them confused. There is also a jazz discography website you might wish to check. I know these recordings well since the early Evans recordings were where I first started transcribing stuff. I wore out alot of vinyl back then but it was great ear-training!

I hope this helps and let me know if I have the wrong edition, and maybe you could post the table of contents.

That's exactly how I would have placed these versions -- at least the versions of "Alice in Wonderland," "Solar," and probably "Peri's Scope" are pretty definitely the classic ones you cited. I don't know any other versions of these particular tunes, with the exception of "Peri's Scope," worth mentioning. I'd be surprised if "Autumn Leaves" weren't the famous one off "Portrait in Jazz." There are lots of good versions of "Nardis" by BE, but of course the one you cited is (to my ears) the best (or at least the most familiar) and has been transcribed a number of times. "When I Fall in Love" is almost surely from "Portrait" as well.

I sometimes wonder how professional transcribers treat the problem of "re-transcribing" already-published transcriptions. "Peri's Scope" was transcribed (pretty accurately, if I remember) by John Mehegan in one of his beginner's books. The solo from "Nardis" has already been done long ago, in addition to some others. It must make life pretty easy to be able to check and correct someone else's transcription, reprint it, and gain whatever rewards the publisher offers.

Good that HL did the transcriptions from the classic albums, unlike some of the other volumes I've seen which relied upon relatively obscure performances.

yeah, jazz man, that's it. thanks for the tip, there! sounds like those are 4 essential albums in the BE canon, so i know it's money well spent. i finally did get a reply back from HL and i found their reply interesting...

"Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we do not have records of the recordings from which these transcriptions were taken. Sometimes the original recordings go out of print or are reprinted in new collections. Also, our transcriptions are often done over many years by different transcribers. We have no way of keeping track of the recordings. As a print music publisher, we can only offer you the best transcriptions possible for your playing enjoyment.

Sincerely,

Hal Leonard Corporation"

is HL customer service just being lazy? i know i've seen recording dates listed in other HL transcription books... hmmm....

Well, I'm sure the person answering e-mails at Hal Leonard isn't a jazz musician who is familar with the recordings intimately -- my guess is that the person in charge of editing the volume effed up and couldn't be bothered with providing a correction, even provided Hal Leonard had some easy way to communicate with him or her in the time-frame people seem to want a response. Or else he or she is dead or otherwise "out of the loop" customer service-wise. Like I said, you can't go wrong with the classic albums, but, like you said, it might be tricky to track down the exact versions on some of the other solos on the other volumes.

A good place to get all those albums cheap is www.emusic.com. They have all the Bill Evans albums mentioned and many more. You can download a track at a time if you like. The first 50 tracks are free and you can cancel after that if you'd like.

I signed up for this service a few months ago (40 track / $9.99 a month) and continue to find music that I absolutely love.

When I'm learning a new song from the Realbook I can usually find a few different versions of it to expand my perspective on interpretations.

I hate it when my sax player says he wants to do things a certin way becauses he's only heard one version of a particular song.

Enjoy,

Rob