Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whats for dinner tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by jlee
    Interesting question, clave -- while the term is well-known (judging by the number of google hits), even if rustic and old-fashioned, it may have originated in either New England or in the southern states, or perhaps in the midwest. If I had to guess, I'd say it was originally a southern US term -- probably just originally meant to apply to rendering lard according to whatever exact method one chooses. I checked briefly in the relevant book of John Thorne, where I'm certain I heard the term first along with a more detailed etymology, but couldn't find the information easily. Good luck if you end up tracking that one down -- I agree that the language of the kitchen is specialized and quite rich.
    Actually, I've seen "trying out" as a 19th century-ism for "rendering." (In reference to the whaling/whale oil trade.) I don't think the DARE (Dictionary of American Regional English) project has published an "S-T" volume yet, but it'll be interesting to see what they came up with in due course. Here's a link to the DARE site -- lots of fun for people who enjoy words/odd slang, etc. (Looks like there are tons of food and cooking terms.)

Talking

Guests today so we had Chinese.

1 Squid with snow peas, shitake mushrooms and long onions.
    Hisako uses the sashimi/sushi quality squid that is really tender.
    2 Beef with broccolli, baby corn and mushrooms in oyster sauce.
    3 Cabbage with pork, garlic and 'kikurage' a dried Chinese mushroom.
    4 Super moist and heavy blueberry chocolate cake from a French confectioner.
    Italian roast coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by soshigaya
    Guests today so we had Chinese.

1 Squid with snow peas, shitake mushrooms and long onions.
    Hisako uses the sashimi/sushi quality squid that is really tender.
    2 Beef with broccolli, baby corn and mushrooms in oyster sauce.
    3 Cabbage with pork, garlic and 'kikurage' a dried Chinese mushroom.
    4 Super moist and heavy blueberry chocolate cake from a French confectioner.
    Italian roast coffee.
    We have terrific Oriental/Asian restaurants in Portland, but here in Central Oregon, it is just standard fare. You're making my mouth water.

There's a decent Japanese restaurant in Portland, and we've eaten there twice. They segregate the patrons. Japanese on one side of a low wall and the rest of us on the other side. Why I don't know. The get a lot of patrons in from Japan here on business. The waitress was telling us about it. She didn't understand the need. Her nick name was Sony as she said her friends say she talks so much. She was fun, and she was tall, More like a tall Swede, or German in how she was built, which was different from most Japanese we see who are usually so tiny.

One of my Hawaiian friends was a terrific cook, Ronny Doversola, his father was a cook on the cruise ships, and he was Phillipino-Hawaiian, and he cooked some terrific things to show me the way the Hawaiians eat, the fish that only royalty eat, a type of snapper, the red kind and he also cooked the silver or grey type, Kona crab which had roe which was delicious, not the least bit fishy tasting but having a nutty buttery flavor, an odd looking crab, and then he did his stew, and I just can't think of the name for it right now, but it had yard long beans, pork, bok choy, eggplant, garlic, green onions I believe, dried shrimp, chili and"soya" as the Hawaiians call it. I don't remember everything else. I just know it was absolutely delicious. I made it a couple of times after coming home from over there and couldn't find half of fhe ingredients substituting fresh shrimp, and regular green beans and snow peas, and it still tasted OK, but not nearly as tasty as Ronny's was. Where we live is so pretty, but to experience a lot of things all of you have at your doorstep so to speak, we have a four hour drive.
    Sandi from Hermosa Beach

Gyoza, Chinese dumplings stuffed with pork, leek, ginger etc, in soup with Chinese cabbage, shitake mushrooms, bean sprouts etc.
    Asparagus and shredded chicken breasts in a lemon, rice vinegar flavoured dressing.

Matt Lorentzen
    No dinner, straight to a gig, but I had some red beans & rice around 5pm

The Original Mexican Bob JFitzGenius's Avatar
    I had a nice, thick New York strip steak cooked Pittsburgh rare. Grilled asparagus, a nice homemade Caesar salad, and a baked sweet potato. I accompanied it with a very nice Shiraz-Grenache blend.
    "We are here and it is now. Beyond that, all human knowledge is moonshine." H.L. Mencken

Gyoza, Chinese dumplings stuffed with pork, leek, ginger etc, in soup with Chinese cabbage, shitake mushrooms, bean sprouts etc.
    Asparagus and shredded chicken breasts in a lemon, rice vinegar flavoured dressing.

These meals really do sound delicious ! Do you have children ? I only ask this as my daughter who is five loves eating Oriental food and can nearly use chopsticks.

Recently, we ate in Chinatown in Manchester and in the restaurant was a large Chinese family dining. There we about 20 of them and there were a couple of girls my daughter's age. She asked if she could sit with them to eat !

I guessed that the family wouldn't mind, so I asked and sure enough, they were delighted to have our daughter join them.

In the UK families do not eat together enough.

[QUOTE=mike bryan]These meals really do sound delicious ! Do you have children ?
    Yes, a son and grand daughter in Essex but I never see them.
    I'm from Sheffield.

[QUOTE=soshigaya]
    Quote Originally Posted by mike bryan
    These meals really do sound delicious ! Do you have children ?
    I'm from Sheffield.

I've wondered where you're from, as your writing seemed as though you are from the west.

You should put together a little cookbook, and we would probably all buy it, even if we would have to special order or send off for certain ingredients. Those of us in or near big cities wouldn't have much of a problem finding things, I would imagine, but for a lot of us, like me, Soy sauce, oyster sauce and green tea in bags is about all we get, and it isn't always top quality. Well I exaggerate a bit as to what's available, but we wouldn't be able to find some things, but if one wants to spend the money, mail order is fantastic these days, even though it's expensive. But really, your dinners sound wonderful, and a big plus are the health benefits.

I find a lot of time people modify ethnic foods to fit American taste, and when they do, it ruins the dish - like celery in Mexican food. Horrible.
    Sandi from Hermosa Beach

it's my wife's birthday, so we'll be going out to eat at a place we used to frequent when we had a smaller mortgage. i'm not sure what i'll eat, but for desert i'll be having a "bonzo", which is a multi-layered cake consisting of a layers of brownie, cheesecake, dark chocolate mousse and whipped cream. i've lost 13 or 14 lbs. this year. i think i'll put five or six back on tonight. it'll be worth it, though.

looks like the next week will be filled with bike rides, stair climbing and salads.

[QUOTE=soshigaya]
    Quote Originally Posted by mike bryan
    These meals really do sound delicious ! Do you have children ?
    I'm from Sheffield.
    Wow ! Sheffield. Thats were I went to University ! 1984 to 1988 !

[QUOTE=mike bryan]

Wow ! Sheffield. Thats were I went to University ! 1984 to 1988 !
    Check out Dave Milner's great photo journal of the streets of Sheffield. Maybe you can spot where you stayed. He really captures the essence of the place.

http://citysnapper.org/dm/index.htm

Wow, thats some archive !!

It really is a facinatining city. When and why did you move to Japan ?

Mike. Any reply to that would require more space than prudent within the limits of the thread. I'm sure the gastronomes aren't interested in my history !

The quick answers are a) 1976 b) sex with dishy Japanese girls.
    Cheers
    Dave

Back on topic, I ate at a late hour of 11pm last night.I had pan fried pork loin topped with blue cheese, green beans . carrots and a jacket potato.

I listened to The Poll Winners first album whilst cooking and drank a bottle of South African Pinotage, which I am now regretting !!