Home » Jazz Articles

Mind Your Business

The ins and outs of managing the business side of your career. Become your booking agent, producer, publicist, tour manager, and oh yeah... musician!

Part 12, Just be nice!

Read "Part 12, Just be nice!" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

I've truly had a great time writing these “Mind Your Business" articles and want to thank you if you've been following along. I genuinely hope that people have gotten some useful information and inspiration from them. This will be my final installment in this series as I feel like I've covered everything I wanted to say on these topics. Throughout my columns I hope I've given you the tools to push your career even just a little further. I hope ...

Part 11, Be Prepared

Read "Part 11, Be Prepared" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

When I was younger I was a Boy Scout. I really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot from doing it. Probably one of the most important lessons I learned from scouting is one the simplest. The Boy Scout “motto" is be prepared and following that has helped in many situations I've faced as a bandleader. It's obviously expected that you'll bring your instrument and musical knowledge to a gig. But I'm going to suggest some other items to bring ...

Pt. 10, Video and the Evolution of the Press Kit

Read "Pt. 10, Video and the Evolution of the Press Kit" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

I first started booking gigs for my band during the days of mailing tapes: manually copying cassettes and their inserts, then delivering an armload of clunky packages to the post office. If someone had the ability to burn CDs on their own computer and mail something digital, that was a big deal! Then came the rise of the online press kit and the ability to bypass cranky postal workers. The electronic press kit (EPK) is still relevant and saves a ...

Part 9, The Boring (Must Do) Stuff

Read "Part 9, The Boring (Must Do) Stuff" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

When most people think of leading their own band, they imagine the freedom of playing their own music, the adulation of fans, and the exhilaration of touring the world. What they don't often imagine is sitting in an office writing up contracts, requesting deposits, and filling out insurance applications. These dull tasks aren't why musicians started playing in the first place. Yet this columns is about the logistics of running a music business, and sometimes boring paperwork is just as ...

Pt. 8, PR for Dummies

Read "Pt. 8, PR for Dummies" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

I've often thought to myself: “Miles Davis never had to deal with things like mailing lists, and websites, and posters... and press releases!" While this is no doubt true, we live in a different world than Miles Davis did and we're not Miles Davis. Throughout this column I've tried to stress how, in this modern age, you can manage the entirety of your career all by yourself. An important aspect of any artist's career is Public Relations. PR ...

Pt. 7, Touring Logistics

Read "Pt. 7, Touring Logistics" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

In my last column, I covered the first step of booking a tour: getting the gigs. And while it's easily the most important part, it's really just the beginning of the road. There are matters including transportation, lodging, gear and PR, amongst others, to still contend with. Logistics isn't the most exciting of topics, especially to an artist. These details might make your eyes glaze over like playing “Giant Steps" in all twelve keys, but if you're managing everything yourself ...

Pt. 6, Touring: Booking the Gigs

Read "Pt. 6, Touring: Booking the Gigs" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

Booking a tour for your band might be about the most ambitious (and insane) endeavor you will attempt as a musician. To do it requires that you apply many of the skills that I've covered throughout my columns, including booking, networking, PR and use of social media, as well as some I haven't, such as tour management, driving...and psychotherapy. I've booked many tours for my band throughout the US, UK, and Europe, and if you're doing it all ...

Pt. 5, Digital Drink Coasters?

Read "Pt. 5, Digital Drink Coasters?" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

In the previous installment of this column, I discussed the undertaking of making a record on your own. In particular, how to fund it and how best to spend those funds. Now it's time to talk about what happens once those boxes of CDs have arrived and are cluttering up your basement... Now what? How do you sell these things or will they just become expensive digital drink coasters? Well this is the eternal question and there's no ...

Pt. 4, Making Your "Kind of Pepper"

Read "Pt. 4, Making Your "Kind of Pepper"" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

In this DIY age we find ourselves in an unprecedented situation, where releasing recorded music to the world is available to anyone with a computer and an internet connection. The gatekeepers who have traditionally chosen what the public ought to hear have found a gate that's become really large. That, along with the decline of record sales, means there aren't as many labels in existence and the ones that are rarely take chances on new artists. But, this change in ...

Pt. 3, Brick Walls And Railroad Tracks

Read "Pt. 3, Brick Walls And Railroad Tracks" reviewed by B.D. Lenz

I wish someone had warned me about the two biggest press kit photo clichés before I perpetrated both. These are either getting your picture in front of a brick wall or next to railroad tracks. They're easily the most overused backdrops in all band press kits and, like every other offender, I believed I looked thoughtful and profound when in fact I looked like a transient waiting for the 5:30 express. I've seen others where a guy is holding his ...

Get more of a good thing!

Our weekly newsletter highlights our top stories, our special offers, and upcoming jazz events near you.